Gulf, Atlanta & Eastern

Tell us about your layout...
barry10

Gulf, Atlanta & Eastern

Post by barry10 »

Hello all. I've been an NMRA member for about ten years but I don't think I've posted on the forum before. I notice that the layout area is a bit quiet, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to post some pictures of my effort, in case anyone's interested. The layout was in Roundhouse quite a few years ago, as well as Model Railroader in about 2014, but I've done a lot to it since.

My N layout is a 12 x 11 room-based model set very loosely in Georgia and South Carolina, with an emphasis on Southern and Central of Georgia, although other South Eastern railroads get a look in now and then. I'd modelled the GWR in 4mm for a long while before attempting an American model, and I decided to go for N as a change of focus and to be able to run longer trains in big scenery. My choice of region was pretty random but I'd visited Atlanta professionally on my first trip to the States, and I liked the look of the Southern's liveries. More importantly, my local train shop had a Lifelike SD7 in Southern for a very reasonable price, so I took the plunge. After some false starts and a house move, I started the layout in earnest in 2008. It's a walk-in affair, basically a dog-bone folded around the walls with a peninsula. It breaks a lot of the golden rules of good layout design in that about half the track is hidden, including all the storage loops. However, the upside is a satisfyingly long mainline run of nearly 90 feet.

The layout is set at chest height and shares its footprint with a British-themed layout raised above it, so the two of them form a sort of disconnected double-deck.

While I'm getting the hang of the forum, here are a few images taken around the layout over the years. Some of you may have followed the layout on RMweb and elsewhere - if so, hello!

The layout runs on an NCE Powercab with a couple of additional throttles. Track is all Peco Code 55 except for some Atlas set-track in the hidden sections. All turnouts are operated by Peco solenoids, with additional frog switching by microswitch. The period is very loose, depending on my mood, and can very between the late steam era and into the Eighties and beyond with Norfolk Southern. I've been on a steep learning curve where the Southern is concerned (not to mention US railroading generally) and there is much still to be learned.

I hope this has been of some interest and I'd be happy to post more images, plans etc. I'm based in South Wales and although I'm actively involved
in the exhibition circuit in and around Wales and the West, it tends to be with British and French interests or with friends' UK-set layouts. My best wishes to all NMRA members, and particular thanks to those who have kept the publications and activities going through 2020 and 2021. It has all been very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Al
PeterLJ

Re: Gulf, Atlanta & Eastern

Post by PeterLJ »

Hi Al

Why not send some stuff to Roundhouse, I am sure the membership would be interested.

Peter
barry10

Post by barry10 »

Thank you Peter. I did have a look back at the Roundhouse in which the layout appeared about a decade ago, and realised that it was only a few photos on one of the pages, so perhaps these is scope for a longer piece.
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Nice looking layout, I like the scenery. Any videos of the layout?
Mike Ruby