RDC (P1K) Sound

For those that like their electrickery delivered digitally...
igadget

RDC (P1K) Sound

Post by igadget »

Has anyone fitted a sound decoder to the Proto 1000 RDC?

It appears from research that the only sound currently available is via Digitrax and a downloadable file plumbed into their SFX0416 sound decoder..? (Already have a standard decoder fitted).
John P
BrianMoore

Re: RDC (P1K) Sound

Post by BrianMoore »

I've installed a very early Loksound decoder into my SP10, the first sound decoder I purchased some nine or so years ago - it's not got a lot of upload space on it, but enough for the purpose. Mike Ruby put a German hydraulic (?) download into it, and it sounds reasonable. Can't comment on Digitrax stuff, but I've heard it's fiendishly complicated to tweak and tune.

I'll see if I've time to make a quick YouTube video of it later.

Brian
Brian Moore
igadget

Post by igadget »

Thanks Brian, a video would be great.

I've seen quite a few of the mixed comments regarding SFX0416 decoder issues on the Digtrax Sound Yahoo group which also made me wonder if anyone had had any experence of them here..

The Digitrax RDC sound file can be played back on their web site - engine note sounded a little thin/lacking in bass to me - and that was via an external (expensive!) amp/decent speakers connected to the PC..

Also don't have a PR3 to load the file but do have the Loksound programmer/spare decoders, although quite happy to try something different re Digitrax - I like a challenge!
John P
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

Not brilliant, but it gives an idea. The decoder is very basic, and you could do an awful lot better with, say, a Loksound 3.5. There's a feast of European sound files on the Loksound site that you could dabble with.

I used this Loksound 2, as it's not got enough capacity for anything else. It was the first sound decoder at the Western Union, and was a wonderful thing in its day.

Brian
Brian Moore
igadget

Post by igadget »

Hi Brian,

Many thanks for the video - very impressive, and sounds rather better than the RDC file on the Digitrax site... Scenery is not half bad either!

Have travelled on RDC's (Toronto/Niagara and Vancouver Island), but memory vague on the sound unfortunately, so I probably need to explore YouTube for real life examples and then peruse the Loksound offerings rather closely, starting with the German hydraulic.. Using a V4 decoder should sound quite nice...

Thanks again for the video..
John P
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

John,

You may have seen the comment from Gene Poon under the YouTube video:

"The sound of the real SP-10, long silenced during its sleep (and probable eventual demise) at Galveston, was more like a Greyhound bus. Two of them in sync, actually. SP-10, unlike just most remaining operating Budd Cars, always ran with its original 2-cycle General Motors Detroit Diesels."

As said, we just chucked in a "near enough" sound that would fit into the small amount of available memory.

I don't know enough about re-motored RDC's, but there will, no doubt, be several different types of power plant installed in refurbished units. Again, I'm sure you'll find something appropriate in the myriad selection of European downloads on the Loksound site - good hunting.

Brian
Brian Moore
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

I think the diesel sound was from a German railcar.
It is set up so stopped it idles, on pulling away it revs to a fixed speed, until it reaches a set speed when it drops revs and the revs then increase with speed. Slowing down it goes back to idle, with a bit of brake squeal as comes to a halt.

I did some research on how the RDC worked, it has a very basic throttle.
It will pull away on fixed revs the torque converter allowing the speed difference, at a set speed, 63 mph, the torque converter locks up and the engine speed is then locked with running speed. On Brian's the lock up speed is a lot lower than 63mph, or else it would never happen!

As Brian said the Loksound 2 is limited, it only has two channels so if the bell and horn are on you loose the engine.
I can send the Loksound programmer project if required. It would sound better with a V4 as you can have two engines running. I mean to get around to doing a three engine one for my genset.
Mike Ruby
igadget

Post by igadget »

Brian, Mike,

Interesting stuff - many thanks for the info..

Out of interest, just had a peruse/listen re the V4 Loksound German railcars, hydraulic and others; noticeable that all of them, and also Brian's RDC, have quite a good bass element to them - something the Digitrax file seems to lack, so hopefully a decent bass enhanced speaker in my RDC should help pull some of that through via the V4.

Impressed with the trouble you have gone to researching the RDC Mike, and yes if not too much trouble a copy of your file would be much appreciated.. Still tidying up the work bench after the rush to make the modules presentable for Kegworth, but can now see the work top at last (!), so should be able to make a start on the RDC quite soon now..
John P
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

There are a few YouTube videos of RDCs, but I suspect not with original engines. I did ride them, Vancouver to Prince George and Vancouver Island, 25 years ago. If only I had a video camera back then! I do have a few stills.

A website for RDCs:

http://www.budd-rdc.org/index.html

I haven't figured out how to attach the sound file, but could email it to you.
Mike Ruby
igadget

Post by igadget »

Nice photos Mike - thanks for sharing.

I'll send you my email via PM - many thanks in advance..

Here are a couple on Vancouver Island, Qualicum Station, June 2006. Expect will be told off by Martyn though for placing these in the wrong area of the forum!

Fighting it's way through the undergrowth, the southbound VIA Rail Malahat service approaching Qualicum.

RDC-1's 6148 & 6135 about to leave Qualicum southbound towards Victoria, although the engineer has forgotten to turn off the 'headlights' still on at the rear of the train.
John P
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

Never mind "Qualicum"; that first one has obviously got a "Qualicast" fitting on the front end to cut the grass. The second picture shows how good a job it made of it.

Brian
Brian Moore
igadget

Post by igadget »

Ha - yes hadn't thought of that..!

Here is a shot of the well manicured area in front of the depot.

And a shot of the depot looking back into the 'wilderness' re the first photo of the RDC scything through the undergrowth.
John P
igadget

Post by igadget »

Just resurrecting this thread having fitted a QSI Titan RDC decoder (plus Pyle lights) in my P1K CP RDC prior to Xmas, and then working out how to edit the subsequent video using newly acquired Sony Movie Studio Platinum software...

Apologies for the wobbly/focus issues at times - I managed to forget the tripod when taking it to the club, so juggling throttle and camera at the same time wasn't a good idea..

Thanks to Redbull of this parish for the much steadier video at the start via his iPhone 4...

John P
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

It looks and sounds the biz, John. Well done.
Brian Moore
qqharg1

Post by qqharg1 »

I've just bought the "new" version which has an 8 pin plug. I can find a QSI decoder which can be loaded with RDC sounds but I can't work out what size speaker to use. Can anyone advise/help?