UK Alco

Going to the US? Where to go, and what to see...
torikoos

Re: UK Alco

Post by torikoos »

excellent :-) It's the first time I've seen a good image of it.

what are the plans with her? Is it to be painted in a nice US railroad colour? It would be a good idea to choose a large US (fallen) railroad if they owned them so that the visiting general public get a visual clue to what the heritage of this unit is. Santa Fe, Southern Pacific, or Union Pacific for example? (provided they had them on their roster at some point)

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Yes it is. :-)
there's several amongst those that would possibly be known in the UK, probably most famous is the ATSF. We should start a lobby with the owners :-)

Koos
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Is it my imagination, or have they taken the buffers off it?
077256 wrote:One of the options would be to trace who originally purchased the loco and paint it in their colours.
All 5 were purchased brand new by the Steel Company of Wales for use at Port Talbot, so there wasn't an original American livery.

Sister #801 is now at the Nene Valley, and their page for that one has a builders photo of #804 in it's original maroon paint (rather smart, if not especially exciting)
http://www.irps-wl.org.uk/restoration-p ... jects/alco

#804 was also based at Railworld in Peterborough, but may have been recently scrapped...

They are a difficult "sell" to most UK preserved railways due to loading gauge issues, making them not particularly useable!
Martyn Read
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

(PS - CP Action red is always an eye-catcher... http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=1919776 ) ;)
Martyn Read
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

I'd be happy as a static display already. Yes I think the buffers are off. We now need a us coupler a lift bar and some air hoses , anyone got any details west parts leftover? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

torikoos wrote:I'd be happy as a static display already. Yes I think the buffers are off. We now need a us coupler a lift bar and some air hoses , anyone got any details west parts leftover? ;-)
One big advantage is you break less drills in this scale... ;)
Martyn Read
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

I wouldn't be so sure. The only reason why drills break is wanting to do things too fast, that can happen in 1:1 scale too :-)

torikoos

Post by torikoos »

That's good news, I'd love to buy it but I require a bit if help in the lottery :-)