a small tip for kadees

If it doesn't fit above, try here!
Mike_R

Re: a small tip for kadees

Post by Mike_R »

Good idea, although I have so many spare boxes that if I have to take one apart I can just use a new box.
When fitting Kadees (100% on my layout) and using a cast on box I make sure the box and lid are smooth, several manufacturers have moulding marks in them. I also coat the inside with graphite from a 4B pencil.
Mike Ruby
rongager

Post by rongager »

4B pencil is a great idea Mike. The Kadee tube of graphite dust goes all over the place and seldom stays where you put it.
The 4B pencil lead (graphite) is much much better. Incidentally, artists shops sell a pencil sized solid graphite "pencil".
No wood, just all graphite.
Have you tried a silk thread on a fine sewing needle through the Kadee coupler spring when inserting it?
You will not lose that one!!
Ron Gager
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

I just hold the springs on the end of a small screwdriver stuck between a couple of coils. ACCing one end sounds like a good idea.
Mike Ruby
warbonnetuk

Post by warbonnetuk »

Not sure which number Kadees (think they are 'whisker' ones) but some of the more recent Kadees I've bought have come with snap together draft boxes that intallation a lot easier

Dan
Dan Spalding

Galatia KS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galatia- ... 5487154282
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

I find the whisker couplings centre better, and fit in cast on boxes that are too tight or narrow for the old springs.
Mike Ruby