Layout Sounds

If it doesn't fit above, try here!
flightcase

Layout Sounds

Post by flightcase »

Hello - I’m a new member and a recent convert to American modelling, n scale and DCC.
My query concerns background sounds and localised sounds, mostly non-railway since all my locos are sound-equipped.
I like cameos and am drawn to the Woodland Scenics AutoScenes range as a way of getting started, but I feel they would be much improved if linked to an appropriate sound source. I am wondering whether other modellers have tried this, and with what degree of success.
As my stage name suggests, I am building a micro layout inspired by one I saw at an exhibition which was housed in a keyboard flightcase (unfolded to 5’ x 3’ approx.)
I use a PowerCab controller.
Any guidance would be gratefully received.
PeterLJ

Re: Layout Sounds

Post by PeterLJ »

Hi ??

We are all friends here be nice to sign your name.

Welcome to the group, have you looked at JMRI soundpro?

Peter
flightcase

Post by flightcase »

Thanks for the suggestion, Peter, but perhaps I should have mentioned that I just don’t get on with computers at all. I’ve got nothing against them - it’s just that I suffer from tech-induced stress whenever I try to use one (even our new TV).

I’ve been thinking along the lines of Train-Tech Sound Track or Gaugemaster Scenic Sounds but I’m sure there must be a wider range of similar devices that I haven’t yet discovered. I’m surprised that Woodland Scenics don’t appear to make one themselves.

Eddie.
flightcase

Post by flightcase »

Just for the record, I have now gone down the Pricom route and bought a Dream Player Mk2. I would very much like to hear from anyone who has one.

Eddie
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Two of my old exhibition layouts used sound tracks I made by putting free downloaded sounds together in a music editor and burnt to CD. Then a CD player under the layout played the sounds. I presume you can do the same for the memory cards in the Pricom. The CDs played for around 50 minutes before repeating.
My home layout has two sound units, for a sawmill and river, made by ITT products, they were sold by a shop in the UK, but I can't remember which.

Mike
Mike Ruby