Walthers Kits

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
BrianMoore

Re: Walthers Kits

Post by BrianMoore »

As the Kadee page says: "The #148 coupler will work anywhere a NO.5® Coupler will work."

Picked up a long-out-of-date Walthers kit myself last week on eBay, also with the Victors sticker. Shows again just how much stuff remains "unbuilt & stashed" in this world.
Brian Moore
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

148 has built-in 'whisker' centering springs whilst the 5 has a separate phosphor bronze centering spring. The 148 is probably the easiest option.

Sent from my SM-G357FZ using Tapatalk
Martyn Read
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

There's definitely been a recent increase in the number of US-outline HO cars being sold on UK eBay. These days, I'm happy to limit myself to stuff I really need for my 1954 SP Coast Line planned layout when we finally move house. Thus, I received a probably final two tank cars (making a shocking total of over 50), and a stock car.
Brian Moore
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

catweasel wrote:Just received in the mail a number of NOS Walthers kits. They've got plastic wheels,which I'll change, and plastic couplings. The steel weights also have surface rust,which shows how long they've been buried. The recommended Kadee is No 5,which I can get easy enough but what's the difference between No 5's and 148's and are they interchangable? The original store sticker on the boxes is Victors, which was a well known store in Islington, North London. I went in there back in the day and bought Narrow Gauge and Shortline,along with some Joe Works stuff.They closed in 2000 I think. Small world.

Depending on your needs and wishes, you may also want to consider the numbeer 158. This is the same coupler, but the coupler head is smaller, and more to scale, they interoperate fine with the 5 / 148 etc, but look a bit nicer imho.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.