Blue box SD40-2

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
torikoos

Re: Blue box SD40-2

Post by torikoos »

looking forward to the progress you'll be making with this one. Show us how you'll get on with it!

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Glad you're getting stuck in with it.

As for LED lighting, there's multiple ways of doing so, from using micro LED's (one tiny led per lens opening), to using larger ones behind the current plastic lenses. Whatever floats your boat :-)

I would suggest to have a look around www.expressmodels.co.uk, they have a LED store with various sizes and colours. ( Warm white is probably best)
I personally like micro or mini LED's, using one per lens opening, and secure them in place with a product called Micro Krystal Kleer (by Microscale, available from www.Modeljunction.info , usually).
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

catweasel wrote:So far, so good with the SD40-2 loco. New wheels fitted, A-line Mashima fitted, now for the fun bit. I've re-wired the trucks and will put a LokSound Direct decoder in it, above the motor. Obviously hard wired, which shouldn't pose to much of a problem. I want to fit ditch lights, lights etc. but I'm a bit concerned about the speaker type and position. I've got a small speaker I can fit in the cab roof, but I was wondering about a sugarcube type in the long hood above the truck. Any ideas about this please?
A sugar cube will easily fit above the rear truck firing down (so 'glue' it to the shell with a bit of silicone sealant, which will make it easy to remove) as do other types of speakers. There are many designs that are 18mm wide, which is about the maximum that will fit inside these narrow hoods).

Koos
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

I would cut the plastic of the numberboards off the headlight section on both sides, and fit them separately with a drop of glue. Before fitting, use some black paint to mask the sides etc to stop light leakage, unless you want to illuminate them separately. (micro leds would do nicely).

Then the headlights can be refitted with an LED , alternatively you could fit fiberoptic strands with a LED, or fit microleds directly in the lens openings secured in place with some MicrokristalClear.

Koos
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

catweasel wrote:I've made a couple of enclosures for speakers to fit above the rear truck in the body,one of which is approx twice the depth, in theory it will increase the bass response. I have another Blue Box shell in Conrail livery which I want to fit full lighting too.This one has 2 red dots painted on each end. I assume these are tail lights? If so, a couple of micro LED's will go in once drilled through. My big question is the headlights. This loco has the Athearn fire in the cab set up. I can knock out the standard lenses and fit LED's in their place,but what about the number boards? If I drilled a small hole through from the headlight LED would it work to allow a small amount of light from the side? Any comments or advice welcome. Thank you.
Some Conrail locos did have red marker lights (In the class light holes on the nose of EMD standard cab locos), I'd suggest googling for photos of the prototype machine to see whether it's correct and what the fittings looked like.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk
Martyn Read