Sergent couplers

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
torikoos

Re: Sergent couplers

Post by torikoos »

i don't have any hands on experience, but communicated with someone who made 'the switch'.
He ordered the ones you have to assemble yourselves, and they take a bit of adjusting / lubricating and had a few issues doing that (sausage fingers didn't help there). However once operating they work great so he claims, and loves the prototypical look of them.
Obviously some considerations you have to make is will your rolling stock/loco's ever get used at meets, where the overwhelming majority will be Kadee (or compatible), and the size of your roster, as converting a small fleet may be okay, but if the numbers are substantial , then it might be quite an investment.

Koos

PS: I'm not sure if the 'assemble yourself' are still available, I do know they discontinued the 'weathered' couplers, but that to me is not an issue.
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Re: Sergent couplers

Post by BrianMoore »

As Koos says, they look great, and are rather fiddly to assemble. The biggest issue is that they will not connect to Kadees. If you want to use your stock exclusively at home, then no worries. if you want to bring them to "live ops", there is a problem.

Brian
Last edited by BrianMoore on Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Moore