Southern Pacific PS-2 covered hoppers

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
BrianMoore

Southern Pacific PS-2 covered hoppers

Post by BrianMoore »

I've almost completed some PS-2s to run on the club modules. The first three are resprayed, decalled (mostly using the new Microscale SP PS-2 sheets) and weathered Kadee models:
SP 402070 by bxmoore, on Flickr
SP 401470 by bxmoore, on Flickr
SP 401163 by bxmoore, on Flickr
Brian Moore
BrianMoore

Re: Southern Pacific PS-2 covered hoppers

Post by BrianMoore »

This one's an SP Kadee model, with some added decals:
SP 401152 by bxmoore, on Flickr
Here's one done with the cheaper Atlas PS-2 model, with new ladder grabs, resprayed, decalled and weathered:
SP 401400 by bxmoore, on Flickr
It initially proved difficult to get a good match for the light grey of the Kadee "out-of-the-box" PS-2 , but I finally found that Pollyscale SP Lettering Grey to do the job.
SP 3428 and cement train by bxmoore, on Flickr
Last edited by BrianMoore on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Moore
warbonnetuk

Post by warbonnetuk »

V nice Brian!

Dan
Dan Spalding

Galatia KS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galatia- ... 5487154282
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

They are lovely models. Not knowing much about these hoppers, in what time period were these in service? Steam/diesel transition, or much later still?

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

torikoos wrote:They are lovely models. Not knowing much about these hoppers, in what time period were these in service? Steam/diesel transition, or much later still?

Koos
They were introduced in 1956/57, but over the years got repainted/reweighed/refurbished, Koos, so by the time of the early eighties which I am modelling, it was truly the case that "no two were the same". I really like the chance to use the yellow and red decals too. The Cotton Belt had some too, and they were inter-mingled with the SP ones, so I'll do one or two of them as well (when I can force myself to engage with them again...).

I've still to complete the weatheriing, and I'll blacken the wheels a bit more, having been informed by a helpful poster on Trainorders that: "Wheels on cars with journal bearings like yours get a lot of oil seeping onto the outside so they look dark gray to black. Some of your wheels are black but some are rust color. Rust color is normal for roller bearing wheels that have no leaks. The inside of the wheels and the axles of all types are rusty."

Also, the Atlas versions I'll be doing will hopefully also have upgraded Plano roof walkways.
Brian Moore
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Thanks Brian, and that's a great weathering tip/insight!
The majority of my rolling stock 'fleet' has roller bearings, but the occasional journal bearing will surely be weathered a lot darker/blacker having read this insightful tip.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.