Athearn Genesis/Proto SP GP9

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
BrianMoore

Athearn Genesis/Proto SP GP9

Post by BrianMoore »

I finally took delivery of my two non-Tsunami Athearn SP scarlet and grey GP9s yesterday, #3778 and #3851. I ordered them from Toy Train Heaven in the US many months ago, and they were posted to me on 27/12, arrived in the UK on 31/12, and Customs took a stunning 12 days to put them ito the UK postal system. After paying... gasp... £47.13 to bail them out of Parcelforce, the total cost was £250. Looking at the Model Junction website, where identical models are advertised at £135 (and are not yet available), it doesn't seem so ghastly.

Initial impression is very good, and the rather daft application of the old-style big handrail above a correct coupler-lift bar can be easily remedied. Lots of detail, but the factory assembly is a mite shoddy in parts. For the life of me, I can't remove the cab, despite attempting to follow the instructions.

The plan was to hopefully install a Loksound 3.5 with the usual early-EMD custom download, using the existing 8-pin board. I previously managed to do this with the Proto GP9 model. After 3 hours of trying, and even getting the body back on, it was A Bridge Too Far. So I'll have to rip out the guts, install replacement lighting and hard-wire the decoder in. A cut-down bass-reflex speaker sits very snugly above the rear truck, after removing the small weight above it. I'll report back when I get around to doing it.

I've also been attempting my first full respray & detailing job of a Proto 2000 GP9 (previously in SP black widow colours) into rebuilt scarlet and grey SP 3428, with SP light package and some other bits and bobs. It has the Loksound installed, and it will be interesting to compare it to the Athearn models. With a bit of luck, it may be in a decent enough state to run it at tomorrow's Western Union meet in Plymouth.

With Rob Mallett in the process of creating two single-tank SD7s (one for each of us), we should be running some classic eighties first-generation SP power consists before too long.

To be continued.
Brian Moore
torikoos

Re: Athearn Genesis/Proto SP GP9

Post by torikoos »

Pictures? ;-)
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

SP 3428 by bxmoore, on Flickr
Here's SP 3428 and the picture I've been working from. Still some more to do, but it will be running at the Western Union meet tomorrow.
3 x SP GP9 by bxmoore, on Flickr
Proto 2000 SP 3428 with Athearn 3851 and 3778.
Brian Moore
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Looking great Brian!

A little problem might have developed, my mother in law isn't feeling too well, so I am not sure if I can get the kids to stay with her, so I can come over to Plymouth Hilltop, so I apologise in advance if I am absent tomorrow, but I hope I can make it, we have no snow, so that can't stop me :-)

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

SP 3428 performed excellently at the Western Union meet yesterday, hauling two eastbound peddlars and two westbound fast freights between Lloyd Yard and 11th Avenue:
SP GP9 #3428 by bxmoore, on Flickr

Train #21, Eastbound local on the main at Golden by bxmoore, on Flickr
Brian Moore