BN SD9

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
BrianMoore

BN SD9

Post by BrianMoore »

BN 6110 1 by bxmoore, on Flickr
BN 6110 2 by bxmoore, on Flickr
I found a cheap non-dynamic Southern RR Proto SD9 on eBay recently, and decided to do a quick-and-dirty upgrade to a Burlington Northern loco -the usual bodge of a few scratchbuilt and detailing parts, and don't look too closely. It will hopefully emerge as BN 6110, another long-hood-forward locomotive, to run at the club. I can't find any reference to a Proto BN non-dynamic model ever being released.

It's since been sprayed BN green, and I'm not looking forward to the masking job for the black, but we'll see how it goes.

Brian
Brian Moore
torikoos

Re: BN SD9

Post by torikoos »

Hi Brian, looking forward to this. (you should really have modeled another railroad with your Long Hood Forward likes :-) ).
Let me know how you get on with masking the black etc. I had some paint bleed doing my CFNR SD9, probably because I did not apply enough layers of cream (the colour I was masking) again after the masking job, before using the green. The additional layers should have sealed the edges of the masking tape a bit better, but I was too scared to get too thick a layer of paint , which would mask details again...
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
igadget

Post by igadget »

Hi Brian - nice little project..

Appreciate it's a quick and dirty upgrade but just interested to know whether you stripped the original paint first or just covered it with the grey as a quick initial fix prior to the main coat?
John P
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

igadget wrote:Hi Brian - nice little project..

Appreciate it's a quick and dirty upgrade but just interested to know whether you stripped the original paint first or just covered it with the grey as a quick initial fix prior to the main coat?
I stripped it back to the bare plastic, John, and then I use Warhammer Skull White, straight from the big can, for the base coat.

Brian
Brian Moore
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

torikoos wrote:Hi Brian, looking forward to this. (you should really have modeled another railroad with your Long Hood Forward likes :-) ).
Let me know how you get on with masking the black etc. I had some paint bleed doing my CFNR SD9, probably because I did not apply enough layers of cream (the colour I was masking) again after the masking job, before using the green. The additional layers should have sealed the edges of the masking tape a bit better, but I was too scared to get too thick a layer of paint , which would mask details again...
That's what I plan to do, Koos, but like all plans, they usually go awry.

Brian
Brian Moore
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

BN 6110 005 by bxmoore, on Flickr
BN 6110 009 by bxmoore, on Flickr
Brian Moore
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

"Like" :)
Martyn Read
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

It's strange how almost "dayglo" the BN Green is. Helped to an extent by spraying it onto white, albeit in four thin coats. I'll let it dry thoroughly, put the masking tape on, spray another coat over the tape, and when dry, move on to the black.

Brian
Brian Moore
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Looking good so far Brian, just wondering which masking tape you use? I used the yellow masking tape from Tamiya, rubbed down the edges into all nooks and crannies, then added another coat, before proceeding with the darker colour, still got bleed so it puzzled me why it still happened, had heard good things about the Tamiya tape...

Koos
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

BN 6110 015 by bxmoore, on Flickr
BN 6110 010 by bxmoore, on Flickr
OK - quite a successful spray of the black, using Tamiya masking tape, and spraying a coat of the green over it, prior to the black. Hardly any bleeding, but there's a few small areas on the side walkways that'll need touching up with black. I chose not to remove the handrails, as I find that a pain to do, and something bad always happens - they will be painted green, probably by brush, along with some other touch-ups.

Brian
Brian Moore
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Looking very good Brian, I am not sure why my paint attempt didn't work out as well, but I'm not too worried, practice makes perfect and next time I'm just trying again. BTW, I used Polyscale acrylic paints.

Koos
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

torikoos wrote:Looking very good Brian, I am not sure why my paint attempt didn't work out as well, but I'm not too worried, practice makes perfect and next time I'm just trying again. BTW, I used Polyscale acrylic paints.

Koos
I used Pollyscale BN acrylic green and Tamiya acrylic Matt Black. A lot of it is down to luck. And there's a long way to go, yet. I've just brush-painted the handrails green, and will now have to do some work...

Brian
Brian Moore
warbonnetuk

Post by warbonnetuk »

torikoos wrote:Looking good so far Brian, just wondering which masking tape you use? I used the yellow masking tape from Tamiya, rubbed down the edges into all nooks and crannies, then added another coat, before proceeding with the darker colour, still got bleed so it puzzled me why it still happened, had heard good things about the Tamiya tape...

Koos
Koos

I use the end of a bamboo screwer to run over the edge of (tamiya) masking tape which seems to seal things down nicely. The other tip that I've read in various aircraft mags is to blow a thin coat of gloss varnish along the mask edge to give a bit of a seal

Cheers

Dan
Dan Spalding

Galatia KS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galatia- ... 5487154282
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

warbonnetuk wrote:
torikoos wrote:Looking good so far Brian, just wondering which masking tape you use? I used the yellow masking tape from Tamiya, rubbed down the edges into all nooks and crannies, then added another coat, before proceeding with the darker colour, still got bleed so it puzzled me why it still happened, had heard good things about the Tamiya tape...

Koos
Koos

I use the end of a bamboo screwer to run over the edge of (tamiya) masking tape which seems to seal things down nicely. The other tip that I've read in various aircraft mags is to blow a thin coat of gloss varnish along the mask edge to give a bit of a seal

Cheers

Dan

hi Dan, yes I used a skewer to rub the edges, but I didn't use the gloss varnish trick. I did however, respray the masked paint one more go , but it was probably too light or too thin for a proper seal. Oh well, I'll just have to weather the loco to mask some of the bleed on this one.

Koos
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

torikoos wrote:
warbonnetuk wrote:

Koos
Koos

Cheers

Dan

hi Dan, yes I used a skewer to rub the edges, but I didn't use the gloss varnish trick. I did however, respray the masked paint one more go , but it was probably too light or too thin for a proper seal. Oh well, I'll just have to weather the loco to mask some of the bleed on this one.

Koos
Sounds more to do with the paint being too watered-down, and then sprayed on a mite too thickly?

Brian
Brian Moore