Plano Models etched walkways

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
BrianMoore

Plano Models etched walkways

Post by BrianMoore »

http://www.planomodelproducts.com/088.htm

OK, so I've just completed my first attempt at adding a Plano walkway #088 to a light-grey Missouri Pacific Proto 2000 covered hopper car, as per the above.

Question: do I now seek out a colour to match the car and carefully spray the walkway, or do I leave it naked and shiny?

Thanking you, Dan, Martyn or anyone else who can assist...
Brian Moore
Gloriousnse

Re: Plano Models etched walkways

Post by Gloriousnse »

If it was me, with my bodgeing hat on i'd probably paint (drybrush) a very light grey acrylic over it, that'll take the shine off without having to do a heavier re-spray with paint matching implications...

(On a more modern car i'd be tempted to leave it bare metal, but it doesn't 'feel' right for a 1960s/70s car like that one)
Martyn Read
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

I'd weather it down before installing, to lose some of the shine, if you want to retain the metal look. nothing is better to create a metal look, but metal itself.
Obviously, if the original car had painted walk ways, I'd try to find a match as close as possible, but weathering can blend it together.
Have a look here: http://tws-rustbucket.com/index.cgi?act ... 376&page=1 perhaps it provides some inspiration.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

As Martyn says, it is an older car, so I'll venture down the repaint route. I may attempt to mask it, but we'll see.

Fully agree with Koos that the metal look is best attained by metal - if it was a more modern car, I'd keep it, but dull it down.

Thanks to both.
Brian Moore