What did it for you?

They may be gone, but they aren't forgotten.
Gloriousnse

What did it for you?

Post by Gloriousnse »

If you have a favourite fallen flag (I have far too many, unfortunately) - what is it about your favourite that makes it your favourite?
Martyn Read
torikoos

Re: What did it for you?

Post by torikoos »

Mine is the SP, for it's variety of motive power, the tunnel motors, the dirty looks on some of the diesels, the unique cab forwards, and the bloody nose colour scheme (although I appreciate a blackwidow too, it's just not my era (yet :-) ).
I also like the PRR, but I don't model it at the moment. Lastly, for my the Santa Fe warbonnets are iconic too, and at some point one might find it's way onto my model railroad as 'lease power'... ;-)
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
tunnelmotor

Post by tunnelmotor »

Koos,

I am the same - SP. For the reasons you name plus it was also my first USA HO diesel loco, by pure chance I guess.

If you like the black widow and the modern scene, how about a Willamette & Pacific GP9 in those colours? #1801....a real beauty but beware yoiu get the right phase to do it accurately. I have photos if you are really interested.

Mike Arnold
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Hi Mike,

It would be nice to have pictures regardless, but I have two P2K Geeps (a phase 2 and a phase 3) that I first need to repaint and detail in bloody nose scheme (they're currently a pensy and UP loco), one of them will be detailed as having a steam generator, to complement the two SP bilevel commuter cars I have on order. So a 3rd Geep project will be far in the future at the moment.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
warbonnetuk

Post by warbonnetuk »

My screen name gives the game away - Santa Fe (All the Way). Initially it was the combo of the resurrected Warbonnet paint scheme on the Superfleet Dash 8 & 9 and fast GP's with long streams of TOFC across the desert then later the classic era of F units and the classic transcontinental passenger trains.

Dan Spalding
Dan Spalding

Galatia KS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galatia- ... 5487154282
calaf01

Post by calaf01 »

For me it was B&O because they were the first and I find the old time stuff fascinating. Unfortunately I'm a ready-to-run guy in N gauge and there isn't any really old stuff that runs well. I make do with the Athearn old-time consolidations and moguls, especially the blue #1 and the Overland coaches that nearly match the colour, and they run really well. It looks fantastic in the depot on Three Bridges, the layout I "acquired". I love being able to back the locomotive up to a train and couple, and the train doesn't move a whisker. Operations is my real passion, so that was important.

Alan Crooks
Alan C.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Pretty similar to my own core interests Chris, late 1970s Chicago is probably my core at the moment (although I started out with circa 1973 BN in the Pacific NW!) - currently there's Santa Fe, BN, ICG, RI and N&W represented.

I keep getting distracted (modelling-wise) by modern railroading though including some great modern midwest regionals as they fit the ops on our layout & modules really well...
Martyn Read
geofftiller

Post by geofftiller »

I started off following Conrail, along with a few New England lines (following purchase of my first US outline video) and still have the Conrail stuff although I am also looking to the huge range of Chicago/mid west regionals.

I love some of the weird and wonderful loco rebuilding projects of the late 70s and 80s so If I was actually any good at modelling (I'm much more into the technicals) I'd model that earlier period rather than current railroads.

Geoff
geofftiller

Post by geofftiller »

Hi Chris

If the finances allow (which, sadly, they probably won't) I might see if I can fins room for a GP10 or two, perhaps there are some still out there with a little known shortline:-) The rebuilds I particularly like are the UP SW10s, I'm not a UP fan but do like those locos.

Cheers

Geoff
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

(Whistles) ;)
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 26&nseq=21

Going back not that many years then the Iowa Interstate had loads of these, as did the Chicago Central...
Martyn Read
santafe1958

Post by santafe1958 »

I think my screen name also gives it away, though it wasn't always that way.....
My interest in US railroads started way back at the end of the 1960's, when I saw photos of the SP Cab Forwards, and some D&RGW steam, can't remember what type now, and I thought when I got into modelling US trains at the end of the 1990's that I would see what was available.
A visit to Victors....... and I came out with Santa Fe, as the only quality stuff I could afford in stock was Atlas, and it's been that way ever since,
though with some dabbling in the Rock Island and Frisco!

Brian
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
geofftiller

Post by geofftiller »

HI All

I've been looking for photos of GP10s and see that there are quite a few still active. I was reading Lance Mindheim's blog a few days ago and see a link he recommended (as part of his December 2nd entry "Picking a theme for your layout") of some pictures of the Arkansas Midland. Have a look here for a cool shortline street running with old GP10s

http://www.trainweather.com/arkansas-mi ... dband.html

They've gone up the "got to have them" list!!

Cheers
Geoff