Dual-Gauge operations

All narrow gauge other than On30 etc

Moderator: 124063

Forum rules
All narrow gauge other than On30 etc
mec_alf

Dual-Gauge operations

Post by mec_alf » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:45 am

I'm not sure if this question properly belongs here or not; if it's in the wrong location then one of the moderators will move it to a more appropriate location.

Where a dual-gauge turntable is fitted on a conventional 3-rail system, how do traincrews turn the narrower-gauge loco? Would I be correct in thinking that the middle rail moves towards/away from the adjacent broader-gauge rail while the other broader-gauge rail separates to give 4 rails on the turntable lead?
From Rigby Yard to the Hill - MEC and SP live on.

Re: Dual-Gauge operations

Post by 077256 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:37 am

The track on the turntable would have to be 4 track, i.e., the narrow gauge in the centre of the broader track. It has to be like that to keep the turntable properly balanced.
The narrow gauge track would have to be diverted from one side of the broader track to the centre of the broader track on the approach road or even earlier.
To do this would require a single switch similar to a catch point.
The track in the roundhouse or storage road could be be 4 track, as on the turntable or roads could be dedicated to either narrow gauge or the broader gauge.
Lining the turntable up would be the same, as the centre of the narrow gauge track is the same as the broader gauge.

Dave...

Mike_R

Post by Mike_R » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:32 pm

All the Google evidence shows that there were four rails on the turntable.
See here for the way to go from three to four rails.

http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,121539
Mike Ruby

mec_alf

Post by mec_alf » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:37 pm

Thank you gents. I think I'll abandon plans for a dual-gauge turntable and run the narrower-gauge units backwards instead...
From Rigby Yard to the Hill - MEC and SP live on.

Mike_R

Post by Mike_R » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:36 pm

As shown in the photo I linked to, you don't need a switch to get to four rails. It would be an interesting bit of track to build and you only need one on the lead to the turntable.
Mike Ruby