Winter 2016 Challenge - Peter Bowen - Scratchbuilt Freight Car

This is for all registered members with access to the forum. (This is everyone who subscribes to Region Services).
Online modeling competitions and challenges will be announced here.
Forum rules
This is for all registered members with access to the forum. (This is everyone who subscribes to Region Services).
Online modeling competitions and challenges will be announced here.
Members must report and document their modeling progress here.
Winners will usually be chosen by one of the following two (or a combination of the two)
-NMRA-BR BOD members
-Via a voting Poll on this forum by the membership.

At the end of each competition, the entries will be moved to the relevant modeling section to facilitate access of the general public.
PeterBowen

Winter 2016 Challenge - Peter Bowen - Scratchbuilt Freight Car

Post by PeterBowen »

Perhaps the title of this entry should be Fright Car as I have started to scratch build a freight car is a frightening prospect...!

And a lot more challenging than I first thought...!!!

I have been scratch building for over 35 years and was finally rewarded with a Master Builder Structures after my first entry in 1981 and looking back to that first attempt I had made quite a few trial and error attempts.

So the purpose of this challenge is to share with everyone how I have tackled the building of a freight car.

Step One - The Plan and some research

06299 D&RGW 30ft Trash Gondola

Last edited by PeterBowen on Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Peter Bowen
Peter Bowen Art
Art and Ceramics
PeterBowen

Re: Winter 2016 Challenge - Peter Bowen - Scratchbuilt Freight Car

Post by PeterBowen »

Step 2 - First attempt at building

Measuring and laying out materials. I like to use Mt. Albert stripwood because it is virtually grain free, and cuts nicely.

I use the Chopper from NWSL because it cuts clean vertical cuts

Looking at the individual components, here the scale 2" x 6" floor planking of the gondola

Staining wood to represent aged and weathered unpainted wood I use Shoe Dye and Isopropyl Alcohol (also know as 2-propanol, isopropanol, IPA) found online and relatively inexpensive. http://darrantchemicals.co.uk/isopropyl-alcohol

Depending on how long the wood is left to soak results in a varying weathered look.

Peter Bowen
Peter Bowen Art
Art and Ceramics
PeterBowen

Post by PeterBowen »

I started to build directly on the plan - a method which I used in the past when building framing components or the sides of buildings.

It was at this point that I was feeling good about my progress and I posted this online on Facebook and was quickly advised by long time friend in Canada Lex Parker MMR and Alain Kap MMR that my plan was wrong and the dimensional lumber I had used for the under deck stringers were way to chunky... thanks guys.

Lex Parker sent me a better plan and some great photos of some D&RGW freight cars that he had scratch built and Alain Kap directed me to his blog on building freight cars... this is what this hobby and the NMRA is all about - Sharing Know How !!

Peter Bowen
Peter Bowen Art
Art and Ceramics
deanobeano

Post by deanobeano »

Hi Peter,

Looking extremely good irrespective of a false start!! - am I right in thinking it's O Scale (or derivative)? Congrats on your Master Builder by the way - I noticed your name in the latest NMRA mag listing so well done.
Dean Halls
jimbotten

Post by jimbotten »

Impressive skills and commitment (and results). Can I ask where you source your Mt Albert lumber?

Jim Botten