Build a xxxx challenges, lessons learnt

This is for all registered members with access to the forum. (This is everyone who subscribes to Region Services).
Online modeling competitions and challenges will be announced here.
Forum rules
This is for all registered members with access to the forum. (This is everyone who subscribes to Region Services).
Online modeling competitions and challenges will be announced here.
Members must report and document their modeling progress here.
Winners will usually be chosen by one of the following two (or a combination of the two)
-NMRA-BR BOD members
-Via a voting Poll on this forum by the membership.

At the end of each competition, the entries will be moved to the relevant modeling section to facilitate access of the general public.
torikoos

Build a xxxx challenges, lessons learnt

Post by torikoos »

Our inaugural Build a XXXX challenge has just finished.
The entries have been moved to the public area for all to see (logged in or not, and visitors alike), and a voting poll opened.

Lessons learnt:
- Like others , I also think that comments could be welcomed, as long as they stay relatively brief, and on topic, such that a built remains relatively easy to follow without having to sift through lot's of 'diversions'… Unfortunately , our forum software does not yet provide 'like' buttons such as common on others. We do however have a basic version. A more 'pro' version of the software could enable this, but we need people to use the forum more, before such investment makes sense.

- The Challenge section to be made visible for the next one. I still like to give it it's own 'section' away from the other modeling (until complete/finished), but visible along the way.

Any other views on this?

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
PeterBowen

Re: Build a xxxx challenges, lessons learnt

Post by PeterBowen »

I really enjoyed the building challenge and it was an effort to get it all done before and after Christmas - it is amazing how time flies when other things creep into the available time one has for modelling. My personal challenge was that I had to have it all complete prior to going on a train holiday to Switzerland the last week of February.

I have always built from scratch and have never assembled a kit (well OK I did a few Airfix kits as a lad) so it was a well deserved opportunity to build something which I had not built before - a bridge.

Sourcing all of the scale stripwood, fittings and staining materials was all part of the experience and this forum allowed me to share this experience with everyone as a step by step building process.

I would have preferred to let everyone and anyone access to the forum - perhaps it might encourage others to have a go...!

Peter
Peter Bowen
Peter Bowen Art
Art and Ceramics
kathymillatt

Re: Build a xxxx challenges, lessons learnt

Post by kathymillatt »

I found it really odd writing up a forum post with no feedback. I also posted on my website and facebook and had some really interesting and helpful comments there.

I would prefer a more open posting policy on the next challenge.

Who knows, I may even finish this one off at some point!

Kathy