Sound effects on the railroad

torikoos

Sound effects on the railroad

Post by torikoos »

Some may have considered using sound effects on the layout , other than those build into locomotives and cars.
This could range from farmyard noises, to sawmill or other industrial sounds, road traffic, or music coming from the local bars etc.

One way to do this very cheaply, is to use one of these (rechargeable) MP3 speaker players. At less than 3 pounds each they offer 5 hours of battery playback capacity and run of a small sd card. The SD card could hold any sounds be it music or sound effects and are very compact (about 3cm x 3cm) so fit almost anywhere.

Here's a recent link to some of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Cube-Ma ... SwR2RZ~FgR

All you need aside from the speaker is the micro SD card, and some recordings to put on it.
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Mike_R

Re: Sound effects on the railroad

Post by Mike_R »

Interesting, for short recordings old small capacity SD cards could be used.

I've recorded free downloaded samples and arranged them into a sound track I burnt to CD. A cheap CD player under the layout is then used to play them. This method allowed for a 30+ minute sound file. One had city sounds with helicopters, a police chase, fire engines and thunder storms. Used under an exhibition layout it was quite effective.
Mike Ruby
PeterLJ

Re: Sound effects on the railroad

Post by PeterLJ »

Hi Mike

Sounds (!!) great. Been years since I looked at Sound Pro in JMRI, will have a look later.

Keep well.

Peter