Deadwood City Railroad - HO

Tell us about your layout...
santafe1958

Deadwood City Railroad - HO

Post by santafe1958 »

Now in it's 7th version, the Deadwood City Railroad started off back in 1998, after changing scales and countries,
having been in to German and Swiss railways for most of my life! Various moves resulted in a change each time,
the current version being the largest....
Currently a Santa Fe branchline, somewhere in Kansas, with a Rock Island interchange, in the 1960's.

A website with some details and pictures is avaiable at
www.deadwoodcityrailroad.com
or
http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86 ... 0Railroad/

Progress is slow, but isn't that always the case, though operations, single-handed, is frequent!

Brian
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
Gloriousnse

Re: Deadwood City Railroad - HO

Post by Gloriousnse »

Looks great Brian - excellent photo's too. :)

Did you know you can use photo's from your photobucket site here just by pasting in the img tag code next to them?

Or there's a clickable thumbnail version...

Martyn Read
santafe1958

Post by santafe1958 »

Gloriousnse wrote:
Did you know you can use photo's from your photobucket site here just by pasting in the img tag code next to them?

Or there's a clickable thumbnail version...
I was aware Martyn, thanks anyway, but...
1) I wasn't sure how much space there was on the Server, especially for a general topic
2) I delete photo's as I update them, so there would be blank spaces.

However, I wasn't aware of the thumbnail version, thanks for that.

Brian
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

No probs Brian, just trying to spread the message. ;)

Pics from external sites like that don't affect our server load, it goes on Photobucket's - but if you'll be deleting them that's an issue as eventually you'll have threads with the dreaded 'red Xs'

Martyn
Martyn Read
santafe1958

Post by santafe1958 »

033188 wrote:Critical note: (to be ignored if you simply like the loco) No RS1's in Kansas.
RAW
I like RS1's, and my excuse is that one was en-route from Chicago to California, and it got pressed into service.....
Having said that, I have been thinning out my collection, to reduce the era range to those loco's that operated in the early to mid 60's, and I still have my RSD15.....!!! It's also to raise funds for more sound-fitted loco's, as and when.

Brian
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
santafe1958

Post by santafe1958 »

033188 wrote:Quite a bit of Kansas looks like the Cotswolds (so my man in Topeka tells me) !

RAW
It's surprising how much contrast there can be in Kansas.
When I've got nothing better to do at work, usually about 3am on a Sunday morning......, then I'll take a 'drive' across
Kansas (and other States), thanks to Google Street View!!

Brian
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Just a question,

Did the Santa Fe operate a passenger train as short as the one shown, with an F unit pair (A and B) and only two coaches in local service?
Just curious, I totally understand if it is this short for space reasons on your layout, but I've seen pics of an SP E unit with one pax car in tow on a branchline duty, far from the glamorous trains it would once have pulled. I was curious if the Santa Fe F units ended up in a similar situation?

Yes Warbonnet is really pretty indeed :-)

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

033188 wrote:Somewhat jealous as I am now restricted to room 12' x 7' narrowing to 6'. Shame you aren't a bit closer. I model the Verde Valley Railway in Arizona, a branch off a branch! Could run the whole thing with a couple of 1950 consuls or alternatly a couple of black ansd asilve geep 9s or blue and yellwo GP 30/35 or SD 24. However I run just about every class of ATSF steam bar a 2-10-4.

Critical note: (to be ignored if you simply like the loco) No RS1's in Kansas. Add a second coach to your passenger train and use a single E6 or 7 as alternate power. Quite a bit of Kansas looks like the Cotswolds (so my man in Topeka tells me) ! Finally don't weather ATSF stuff too much. The Santa Fe kept 'em pretty clean.

RAW
Verde Valley railway? I visited that line (and taken a ride on it) in 1995, as a tourist train. A fun day , still have the small book I bought about the line somewhere.

Koos
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
santafe1958

Post by santafe1958 »

torikoos wrote:Just a question,

Did the Santa Fe operate a passenger train as short as the one shown, with an F unit pair (A and B) and only two coaches in local service?

Koos
No, not that I am aware of. They used PA's and E8m's, but again, not on locals, more of long distance connecting services. Besides, by the time I model, most of the local passenger trains had gone already (if not all).

My normal 'passenger' traffic is handled as below;-
Even then it is not correct!
It is an AHM Combine that I painted Santa Fe brown, but have yet to decal.
The only 'correct' Combines have been brass, and are hard to come by, even on eBay. The last one was unpainted and fetched over £250!

Brian
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
santafe1958

Post by santafe1958 »

Been trying out Switch Lists, save me taking the car cards with me as I go around the layout.
Then decided to take it one step further and do away with car cards but have waybills for each freight car.
The waybills go in the 'caboose', as I go along with the local freight, and at each location I check what work needs doing, from the switch list, and what waybills are on-hand, in a 'locked' box, to tell me what I cars I need to pick up.
I got this idea from Trevor Marshall's blog:- http://www.themodelrailwayshow.com
and the link
http://themodelrailwayshow.com/cn1950s/?p=1685

The Switch List I downloaded from the Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society website, http://www.atsfrr.com
I'm still working on the Waybills and the Empty Car bills.
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
santafe1958

Post by santafe1958 »

There comes a time........
I wasn't satisfied with how the staging yard area was.
After numerous solo operating sessions, I realised I never used the yard as it was originally planned, ie; I would do switching to make up the local freight. I always cheated because I realised yard work wasn't my interest and I preferred to be out on the main with the local freight.
So, after several weeks of indecision (mostly because I was either on holiday or at work....), tonight I made a start on ripping out the yard.
The replacement will be a minimal staging yard, with more scenery, so I can utilise the crossing without it appearing that the train is still in the yard.
Just got until June 21st though.......
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

a new development, always refreshing :-)