The Fun Starts Here.

Tell us about your layout...
catweasel

The Fun Starts Here.

Post by catweasel » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:44 pm

My daughter, bless her, has just moved into her first house and had carpet fitted throughout. She had a fair bit left and she's given it to me for my railway room. I have 5 baseboards going round 3 sides, luckily without a lot of track laid, but I've now got to figure out a way of doing it. The 'boards have legs to the floor and are screwed to the wall at various places. I'm thinking that if I removed the legs and cut them at an angle, I can support the 'boards at the bottom of the wall, just off the floor. Put more screws in at the back. Then clear the floor and lay the carpet. That's the theory anyway. Crack on. Another way is to fit a frame under the 'boards, but that entails a lot more work.
I used to be indecisive,but now I'm not sure.

Mike_R

Re: The Fun Starts Here.

Post by Mike_R » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:25 pm

Make sure what ever holds the layout to the wall is strong, you will put a lot more stress on them when angling the legs to the wall.
Mike Ruby

catweasel

Post by catweasel » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:12 pm

An obvious solution to it was posted on an American forum. Fit brackets to the walls, clip shelf brackets to them and a length of timber across the lot. The baseboards then are supported along their length. Simple.
I used to be indecisive,but now I'm not sure.

Mike_R

Post by Mike_R » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:01 pm

I used heavy duty adjustable brackets, screwed into the wall studs with 3" screws.
I also have some wood angle brackets on the front wall, one can just be seen at the right side of the second photo, behind the yellow clamp. They used to support a previous layout, otherwise I would have used the metal ones all around.

Here without the layout.

With the layout in place, the back scene covers the brackets which also support a shelf above the layout.
Mike Ruby