Winter Project - West Mary Yard - 1st attempt at a layout

Tell us about your layout...
torikoos

Re: Winter Project - West Mary Yard

Post by torikoos »

Hi Keith,

I personally use Flickr , but there are others I believe.

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Koos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
santafe1958

Post by santafe1958 »

I use http://www.photobucket.com

This is an example of what you get:-

http://s780.photobucket.com/albums/yy86 ... CRR%202013

Then you copy the link from each photo, via the img button just above the panel here (I think!).

I now try to take 'simple' pictures on my iPad and upload straight to Photobucket, as it is more user friendly than a laptop computer.

Brian
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

I forgot, we have a thread on the use of media on the forum, it can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=37

That should answer part of the questions. The reason why we can't upload directly is due to available server space, it would cost us too much.

Hope this helps.

Koos
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the NMRA(BR).

First question: are you going to use the main line on the bottom RH as the "feeder" track where the trains will enter the yard (eg, by placing them there by hand, "on-scene"), or will you employ an additional length of track(s) as temporary staging?

Second question: what is the size of your plan?
Brian Moore
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

Keith, your biggest challenge is making it worthwhile to operate enjoyably in such a limited space. The run-around in the middle has to be of reasonable length to allow a loco and at least a couple of cars to fit in, but the longer it is, the shorter the deep freeze facility and the hopper tracks will be. If you put more than a car or two in either or both of them, you'll then prevent the ability of the loco to run around its train via the loop.

I'd also say that you're trying to put too many industries into a small area. For example, the "fork truck/flat car" space is on the run-around, and having a car spotted there will stop everything from running. I'd also suggest that you make the "Factory/Warehouse" at the back a "flat", stuck onto the rear, to free up as much space as possible.

There are others on this forum who will be hopefully able to offer other opinions. I'd suggest you think a bit more about your present track layout before committing yourself. My initial 2/- worth.
Brian Moore
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

Keith,

Have a look at this:

http://www.layoutvision.com/sitebuilder ... s_2013.pdf

It may take a while to load, but it will probably be the most important single thing to influence your thinking. Best to save it, so that you can look at it at your leisure.

Brian
Brian Moore
torikoos

Re: Winter Project - West Mary Yard - Postponed!

Post by torikoos »

That is a problem, many of us have found(or are finding) out over the years. What looks like a great track plan sketched on a piece of paper, doesn't seem to fit.

Printing out a few templates of turnouts etc can help in getting a feel for the size of things. Other options is to use a (free) track design software package such as Anyrail , using scale rulers etc.

(put a few pieces of track on a scanner or photo copier, print them out a few times and use them to test things out with, before committing to buy loads more is another method).

Indeed the file Brian provided gives good food for thought, and there's others such as 'The missing conversation' part one and two, by Mike Cougill. You can purchase and download these from his website OST publications. http://www.ostpubs.com/the-missing-conversation/. Food for thought indeed.

Koos
Mike_R

Re: Winter Project - West Mary Yard - Postponed!

Post by Mike_R »

12' x 2' isn't bad, 11th Avenue started off that size, although for solo use it had a fiddle yard attached.
The four middle boards of the plan are the original boards. It was designed as a home layout, exhibition layout and double track module. Now with the adaptor board on the right hand end it connects to single track modules. The two mainline track at bottom are passenger tracks, the left spurs a yard, the right end ones industries.

The plan was made in XtrackCAD a free program. It stops you cheating, note the red curves are tighter than the minimum I set.

Mike Ruby