Winter Project - West Mary Yard - 1st attempt at a layout

Tell us about your layout...
torikoos

Re: Winter Project - West Mary Yard - Resurrected

Post by torikoos »

Sounds like you've truly been bitten by the bug :-)

Enjoy it Keith, and those books you've mentioned are a good start on many of the subjects, lots of good generic information in there, usually written in a clear language.
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

So Keith have you decided to go with HO?
Mike Ruby
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

I think you have made the right decision. Your layout is about the same size as my 11th Avenue, 23rd Street and logging layouts, all have provided interesting operation for one or two people.
I can't recall if you were going to use DCC, but that gives great slow speed running (with a good feedback decoder) and the big thing I think for a small layout, sound. I find I run slower and more realistically when switching with a sound equipped loco. You wait for the engine to idle before reversing, maybe sound the horn or bell before moving, pump the air after making up a train and so on.
Mike Ruby
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

You won't get any of my old locos, many already have had DCC fitted and the rest will do eventually. I still buy none fitted locos if they don't have Loksounds and basic blue box or Proto 1000 that I add details, fit better lighting and fit decoders to. These locos can be bought new for £50 to £70, plus a £75 sound decoder to give a reasonably priced loco. Secondhand locos can make that much cheaper.

Before DCC I had under layout sound, it works fairly well on a small layout. My logging layout still is DC (it hasn't been used for several years) with such sound, mainly steam.
Mike Ruby