UP to resurrect a Big Boy?

Mike_R

Re: UP to resurrect a Big Boy?

Post by Mike_R »

I see 4014 made it to Colton Yard last weekend. Four locos and some grain hoppers, for braking, made the journey with it.
It was moving at a reasonable speeds for some of the journey. Looks as if UP cleaned all the stock and stopped the train at stations for viewing.
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Yes, and did you notice the cab number on the lead loco 4884 ? The wheel arrangement of a big boy :-)
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

I missed that one, although did notice the SD40-2 going into the museum is one of my SD40-2 numbers!
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Mike_R wrote:I missed that one, although did notice the SD40-2 going into the museum is one of my SD40-2 numbers!
That then now means you have to 'set' a date range for your layout (if you hadn't already) , or proto freelance and pretend it's still in service :-)

Here's a link to an amateur video, footage starts about 1 minute in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf7aZKkg-dU

And a real nice treat is that the whistle worked through the airlines!

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Some day I need a major renumbering as some of my locos have the pre 1999 renumbering scheme numbers. I'd also like to renumber to locos that other people don't have, i.e. not as bought.
Luckily UP used decals with yellow backgrounds to renumber them, so if I made my own, any colour mismatch is prototypical as well as the numbers not being lined up! Plus as UP don't use white they can be printed with a normal printer on clear sheets.
Mike Ruby
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Finally managing to watch 4014 (both of them) live on Trains. It is on its way to Cheyenne, Milford today running across the desert.
Mike Ruby
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Is anyone else watching the Trains coverage?

Earlier this evening there was great half hour in Webber Canyon, where two East bounds and a West bound were followed by 4014. With the speakers turned up and vibrating the floor it was the closest I'm going to get to being there!

4014 is now back on its old stamping ground. Two more days and it will be in Cheyenne.
Mike Ruby
brianc

Post by brianc »

Check out youtube for videos of the newly restored Big Boy UP4014 en route from Cheyenne to Ogden double heading with Living Legend UP844.

Fantastic shots

Brian Clark