Railroad specific paints

Here's a place to share and exchange finishing techniques.

how often would you buy RR paint supplies

Poll ended at Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:44 pm

None at all
No votes
1 or 2 at the most
No votes
Less than 5 bottles per year
83%
Between 5 and 10 bottles per year
17%
10 bottles or more per year
No votes

Total votes: 6

torikoos

Railroad specific paints

Post by torikoos » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Testor's Poly S Railroad Colours have been discontinued for nearly 2 years now, apart from a few generic ones.
Some UK suppliers still have remnants left from this range, but once gone that's it.
Those who like to kitbash, scratchbuild, superdetail railroad equipment might now need another option. Shipping paints with current regulations is however very tricky, but there are some options.
One of them is Trucolor paints, an acrylic paint which are reported to be very good, but they are not yet stocked by anyone to my knowledge in the UK.
They can however be supplied due to their acrylic nature in most cases.
Brand aside, how many paints do you use each year? Reason for this question is a little market research, which I'm doing in aid of a well known US model supplier in the UK, I'm wondering if it is worthwhile for a UK vendor to stock a different paint for the ( truth be told) limited market that US railroad colours probably would find.

Therefore I created the below poll. Can I have your vote's please?

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.

torikoos

Re: Railroad specific paints

Post by torikoos » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:56 am

In addition to the main question for which the poll is created, I'd be interested to know when was the last time you bought any paints from any vendor. ( obviously for your hobby use).
Short'n sweet please.
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.

Re: Railroad specific paints

Post by 800079 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:44 pm

Koos,
Trucolor seems to be the most popular range in the US at the moment. I think they do enamel and acrylic railroad paints. Would be good to try and get it stocked in the UK. If region suggested and supported it, is there a friendly dealer who might consider it?
Pete