PanPastel

Here's a place to share and exchange finishing techniques.
igadget

PanPastel

Post by igadget »

Came across PanPastel weathering powders when checking out Model Railway News online - wondering if anyone has used them?

http://modelingcolors.com/

They also have a short demo on YouTube:

John P
warbonnetuk

Re: PanPastel

Post by warbonnetuk »

John

Haven't seen these as they appear to be a new product esp with their limited list of stockists. Would be interested to see how what the pricing for them is given all the various tools and applicators - seems like scope to make your own from cosmetic sponges

Cheers

Dan
Dan Spalding

Galatia KS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galatia- ... 5487154282
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

REminds me very much of the weathering kits and tools that Tamiya provides, and the applicators can probably be had quite a lot cheaper at Superdrug or Boots etc.
However be aware that when you're testing the various kinds of applicators in the cosmetics isle, depending who you are, the shop staff might look at you with 'interests' shall we say? :-)

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Yes it did me too - looking at it one advantage is that you get a big pot of each colour, I have Tamiya sets where i've nearly finished one colour but hardly touched the others, so being able to just buy the colours you use lots of and ignore the others may be an advantage?
Martyn Read
warbonnetuk

Post by warbonnetuk »

torikoos wrote:REminds me very much of the weathering kits and tools that Tamiya provides, and the applicators can probably be had quite a lot cheaper at Superdrug or Boots etc.
However be aware that when you're testing the various kinds of applicators in the cosmetics isle, depending who you are, the shop staff might look at you with 'interests' shall we say? :-)

Koos
Cosmetic sponges were no problem in my local Boots. That said I got my wife to purchase my make up brushes I use for pigments and as for false eye lashes for anti spray skirts for UPS trailers, that was strictly mail order! :?

Dan
Dan Spalding

Galatia KS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galatia- ... 5487154282
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

I order them on-line, but wear a dress whilst doing so. My heels are presently killing me.
Brian Moore
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

BrianMoore wrote:I order them on-line, but wear a dress whilst doing so. My heels are presently killing me.

I know the feeling Brian, but that was during a fancy dress party, and on equally painful wooden clogs, why did I have to be dressed as a 'dutch girl' I still don't know (I looked more like the bearded lady) , probably to do with generous amounts of red grape juice being on offer.... I guess that was all a little too much information....
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
igadget

Post by igadget »

I'm getting a bit worried about you lot - rather wondering what I have started! :D
John P
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

igadget wrote:I'm getting a bit worried about you lot - rather wondering what I have started! :D
Love that frock, John. TopShop?
Brian Moore
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

that reminds me Brian, can I have my earrings back, they match the dress I want to wear at the weekend :mrgreen: :lol:

OK, enough....

Koos
kathymillatt

Post by kathymillatt »

I have been tempted to try Pan Pastels after seeing them used in Modelling with the Masters over styrene to recreate weathered wood. They looked excellent. The price is a bit high though so I’ve been putting it off. On Saturday, I went to a Craft Show with my Mum and one stand had a sale price of £4 which is excellent. I bought 6 greys and rusts.

Sunday, I went to our local garden centre which used to have a craft section but it was shutting down. 75% off everything including Pan Pastels. Let’s just say that at £1.50 each, I now have more than I will probably ever need! Now I just need to learn how to use them properly!

Has anyone ever used them and if so how and what for? Tony Koester has been raving about them but says cosmetic sponges are too soft. I still bought some from Boots this morning on my way to work to try.

I'm busy this weekend but the bank holiday is coming so I may have to play...
kathymillatt

Post by kathymillatt »

Useful, thank you.

So much to play with, so little time!

Kathy
andrewcocker

Post by andrewcocker »

Just to bring this back to life, has anyone actually tried them? I've been watching the Mike Confalone weathering series on Trainmaster's TV and he's been using them with standard artist brushes. However, at around £5 each and he's playing with a dozen or so colours, it makes it an expensive proposition. I'd like to get some more feedback before forking out £60+

Andrew
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

yes, have used them, followed the same series, I'm really impressed by the ease of working with them , highly recommend it. They may appear expensive but they'll last a long time.