The salvage yard, word of advice

New users, read this stuff first!
torikoos

The salvage yard, word of advice

Post by torikoos »

Hi all,

More often than not, I notice that in the salvage yard area ( for sale/wanted ) people post their personal details such as phone numbers and e-mail addresses.
By doing so, you open yourself up to spam, nuisance calls, or worse.
Please see 'rule' number 10 in the red section above each part of 'The Salvage Yard', which says that a method of contacting the person should be done using the 'private message' functionality that this forum has. This way no one will see your details in public, but you can contact the seller, give them your details (whichever you chose to share), and continue your communication through the means you commonly agree.

I have not removed/rejected any post that does include personal detail, as I believe we're all responsible adults (mostly) :-)

Please be aware that the NMRA , the NMRA-BR, nor any of the administrators, moderators, members of the board, fellow members, the makers of the forum software , internet providers that this service runs on, the queen, her husband, nor anyone else alive on this planet can be held accountable/responsible for the results that posting such details here could potentially have.

Thank you all!

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
torikoos

Re: The salvage yard, word of advice

Post by torikoos »

Hi Martin,

I must confess I haven't tried to access the salvage yard while logged out. The NMRA-BR forum and website are amongst my 'trusted' sites of which the passwords etc are stored, so I usually end up being logged in automatically.
If indeed it is true that the Salvage yard is not viewable when logged out, then it's a non issue indeed. However, I think it's still good practice to be safe. Internet technologies continue to evolve, and so are the skills of those that have less than honourable intentions on the web, so better be safe than sorry.

Cheers, Koos
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Hi Martin,

as far as I am aware , the full website and forum access is granted to those that subscribe to the region services. Those with a membership that excludes the region services, will only have basic access, similar to someone who is not logged in.
I might be mistaken, and perhaps the above is not 100% correct, can someone confirm/correct me?

cheers, Koos
santafe1958

Post by santafe1958 »

torikoos wrote:Hi Martin,

as far as I am aware , the full website and forum access is granted to those that subscribe to the region services. Those with a membership that excludes the region services, will only have basic access, similar to someone who is not logged in.
I might be mistaken, and perhaps the above is not 100% correct, can someone confirm/correct me?

cheers, Koos
Koos, that is my interpretation too, and I've read it over a couple of times!
I do know that if you're not logged in, then you cannot see the Salvage Yard.

Brian
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

That's what it looks like at the moment, but obviously copies of Roundhouse are much less likely to be shared widely, than data on an electronic data forum, purely because of the ease of it , and the potential wider audience this forum could have.

I would still recommend to take care, but in most cases the average visitor here, will not exploit the fact that a phone number is posted. I do have a responsibility to warn/mention users of the (remote) possibilities of id fraud on electronic media like this, but we're all grown up (mostly). :-)

Koos