Suggestion box

New users, read this stuff first!
Gloriousnse

Suggestion box

Post by Gloriousnse »

What would you change on this forum?

New sections? New functions? Activities (competitions, build-alongs, other?)?

I can't guarantee to make it all happen, but it would be good to get some feedback on what you want this site to do for you, the members...
Martyn Read
igadget

Re: Suggestion box

Post by igadget »

Hi Martyn,

Perhaps include painting and transfers in the weathering section/topic, or possibly a separate topic area for painting?

Regards
John P
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Thanks guys. Both great idea's, will work on getting them on this week.

I think for the moment i'll amend Weathering into a broader painting, decalling, weathering section, we can split that again later if they start getting too busy...
Martyn Read
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Can we include a section on railroad books, magazines and video sources that people can recommend to read? Both prototype and modeling?
Perhaps' favourite RR book I'm reading ' at the moment or similar?

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Hmm - that's probably more of a prototype thing than modelling maybe?
Could any modelling ones go under the 'other modelling topics' bit and I'll sort something out for the prototype section?
Martyn Read
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Yes that could work,although there's plenty of subjects on both, but better to put some separation in early I guess.
I'm currently watching the new modeltrains video scenery videos they released (scenery outside the box, by Mike Colfalone) , which I downloaded. (took several hours to do, I opted for the HD versions) So they can go in the modeling section :-)

Koos
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Okay, we'll do that - if we find we're getting lots of modelling 'media' discussions we can always split them out later.
Martyn Read
redbull

Post by redbull »

It's easy enough to move the posts later to subforums. Probably better having a few busy sections than lots of half-empty ones...
Peter Borcherds
Rochelle Intermodal N Scale Modular Layout
http://www.rochelleintermodal.com
calaf01

Post by calaf01 »

Hi Martyn.

Can we control the order of the posts? Having the most recent first would be useful, I think. Is that a user option or do you control that?
Alan C.
calaf01

Post by calaf01 »

I've got another suggestion. When you link to another website or photo site, or even a picture, how about opening it in a new tabpage so that you preserve your original place on the forum?
Alan C.
calaf01

Post by calaf01 »

I figured out how to change the order, though it looks like you have to manually change it on each topic. Pity there's not a universal setting, or if there is I haven't found it yet.

Alan

And each time you go into a topic, by the looks of it. That's a bit of a bummer. (Oops! Does that count as swearing?)
Alan C.
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Hi Alan, no that's not swearing in my book. :-)

I'm not sure in regards to the functionality you're suggesting, but will have a look. the forum is also still new to me. :-)

Koos

Alan, I've looked, and yes you can change the order of things as a general setting. go to your 'user control panel', and then 'board preferences' and then 'display options', you can select how you want the posts to appear, by date, by author etc etc, and ascending or descending order. hope that helps.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Presume that's got the post order one sorted?

I've looked into the link one and it requires some code change, I think it's a good idea and I'll discuss it with Peter and we'll see what I can do.
Ref to remind me... https://www.phpbb.com/kb/article/links- ... w-windows/

In the interim you'll have to remember to right click and select to open them with either a new link or window.
Martyn Read
redbull

Post by redbull »

As far as 'good web coding practice' goes, you are not really meant to allow external links to open in a new window, although I prefer to do it as it keeps the original website open - especially important for companies who want to keep people on their sites.

It would be best if it opened a new tab, however. I will have a look at the link you sent, Martyn, to see if that mentions tabs or windows - only problem with tabs is that different browsers open them in a different way, and also a lot of people don't know how to use tabs - I would prefer a tab to open than open a new window. However, will look into it. In the meantime, just right-click on the link and select 'open link in new tab'.

Peter
Peter Borcherds
Rochelle Intermodal N Scale Modular Layout
http://www.rochelleintermodal.com