The Joy of (Train) Sets - BBC4

If it doesn't fit above, try here!
BrianMoore

The Joy of (Train) Sets - BBC4

Post by BrianMoore »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01q9vhy

Here's an excellent and well-put-togther documentary. No US-themed content, but several well-known faces, and something for everyone to relate to in some way.

Enjoy.
Last edited by BrianMoore on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Moore
Mikehughes

Re: The Joy of (Train) Sets - BBC4

Post by Mikehughes »

It was a well presented programme which treated the hobby seriously.

What was interesting was to see the demographics. There are a large number of 'baby boomer' people, a smaller number of 'Generation X' (ages 30-47) and since the arrival of Thomas the Tank Engine it appears that there is now an interest in railways from Generation Y (under 30). As a region we should be trying to find ways of attracting and maintaining their interest.

Anyone got any ideas how we can help them Share Know-How
calaf01

Post by calaf01 »

mikehughes wrote:Anyone got any ideas how we can help them Share Know-How
Brighton Modelworld has an area set aside for kids to build simple models. Couldn't we do something similar? Running Thomas the Tank engine only goes so far. How about a simple plastic kit? Even if as NMRA BR we have to commission something? Or maybe a small card building would be more realistic. (I love being able to edit my posts afterwards. I don't think we could do that in the Yahoo group, could we?)
Alan C.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

calaf01 wrote:
mikehughes wrote:Anyone got any ideas how we can help them Share Know-How
Brighton Modelworld has an area set aside for kids to build simple models. Couldn't we do something similar? Running Thomas the Tank engine only goes so far. How about a simple plastic kit? Even if as NMRA BR we have to commission something? Or maybe a small card building would be more realistic. (I love being able to edit my posts afterwards. I don't think we could do that in the Yahoo group, could we?)
Perhaps we could spend some funds to "bulk-buy" a load of Athearn BB kits cheaply, or something similar? A doddle to assemble, and they still look the part.

No, there was no facility to edit on the Yahoo group.
Brian Moore
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

I think I need to watch this one.
It's a shame it was broadcast so late, and it has limited time left on iPlayer, just interesting to see the BBC spend time and effort on it.
We need to get in touch with them for a part 2.

:-)
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

Martin, a lot of it was from archive material, filmed some years ago, including the Bob Symes stuff, which you can see more of on YouTube. I recognised at least a couple of the layouts from his programmes too - thirty years old, as must the Mike Sharman stuff have been (BBC would probably own the copyright, so free to use). It would have cost a mint to send a crew to film in Germany or to LA. At least they had a "modern" layout in the form of Pete Waterman's.

Since it was a "generalist/populist" programme, I'd rate it as good, and supportive of the "traditional anorak-cum-wierdo" type of image we are trying to escape from.
Brian Moore
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

If anyone missed this it was on BBC4 last night again, so presumably back on Iplayer.
Martyn Read