11th Avenue

Discussions on all modular specific topics...
Mike_R

Re: 11th Avenue

Post by Mike_R »

They are all installed now, the last three took one hour (wiring was already in). They worked while the board was clamped to the Workmate. Then when back on the supports and connected to the layout, the rear, hardest one to reach on that board (it has to be that one!) would not reliably stay in position, not a motor fault but my linkage and micro switch (no slack on these leads either!), 2 #**#! hours later it was working. Murphy's law strikes again!

The other rearmost one, even harder to reach, which drives through one of the bridge girders, the turnout is on the bridge, is a bit slow so I may have to redo that one. The rest are Ok after several hours of operating.
Mike Ruby
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Cloudy weather may not be good for going out in but it does give some interesting lighting on my layout.

Image11th Avenue glint 1 by Mike Ruby, on Flickr

Image11th Avenue glint 2 by Mike Ruby, on Flickr
Last edited by Mike_R on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Ruby
PeterBowen

Post by PeterBowen »

Conrad Motors

Where can I buy these from?

Peter
Peter Bowen
Peter Bowen Art
Art and Ceramics
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

PeterBowen wrote:Conrad Motors

Where can I buy these from?
Unfortunately they are no longer made, typical, you find a source of reasonably priced switch motors and they stop producing them a few months later. I may try servos for future layouts.
Until the Conrads I used Fulgurex, between Conrad and Tortoise for price, but a bit noisy. They have proved reliable and have good auxiliary switches and can move both turnouts in a crossover with one motor.
Mike Ruby
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Interesting set of products, the bounce would look good on crossing gates. If you use semaphores, well, watch the video!
Mike Ruby
PeterBowen

Post by PeterBowen »

Henry,

Many thanks for the heads up on the Megapoints and Tower Hobbies which servos are you using?

Peter
Peter Bowen
Peter Bowen Art
Art and Ceramics
Mike_R

Fire station

Post by Mike_R »

After a long time another building finished. For years my fire station was as bought a Walthers ready built. I have painted the exterior, detailed the interior and added lighting.
Before
Image11th Avenue vehicles by Mike Ruby, on Flickr
After
ImageFire station 11th avenue by Mike Ruby, on Flickr
Mike Ruby
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Now I am taking 11th Avenue to Devon Freemo I thought it was about time I built the depot, I bought the Walthers Union Station kit about 15 years ago! but so far there have only been paper stand ins on the layout.
If you have seen my previous buildings you will know I like to detail the insides and this one with all the windows and skylights has to be done.
I make interior wall liners from black card, to stop any light escaping, of course the interior needs to be lit! I then stick texture paper to the liner, in this case Scalescenes dressed stone. I leave the paper over size so I can overlap the corners when the walls go together. The liner will not be stuck to the wall until the exterior has been painted.
To make the interior of the windows look better I used the coping strips from the Scalescenes sheets to cover the edges after I had attached the glazing.

A wall section with the black card liner
Image11th Avenue depot 14 52 57 by Mike Ruby, on Flickr

The liner covered with the dressed stone paper.
Image11th Avenue depot 16 42 54 by Mike Ruby, on Flickr

An original window on the right and covered on the left, 43 more windows to go!
Image11th Avenue depot 44 04 by Mike Ruby, on Flickr
Mike Ruby