Caboose or no Caboose

Want to run your railway a little more like the real thing? Read on...
Gloriousnse

Re: Caboose or no Caboose

Post by Gloriousnse »

Some of the ones i've seen images of used a heavyweight combine as a caboose, if that helps?

Examples:
http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=92371
http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=11445

Those are both N&W - but the same method was used elsewhere also, I know of Santa Fe and SP&S (and even BN!) using combines similarly.
Martyn Read
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

I run a mixed train on my SP 1954-era layout, based on a prototype that eludes me at the moment, but I only have a combine alone at the end of the train, and not also a caboose, as the combine has the office for the conductor to do his paperwork and keep all the stuff that a caboose would do on a freight train. It doesn't make sense to have both. On UP mixed trains of that era too, I again believe that only a combine on its own was used.

If the train was solely a passenger train, there would already be an office compartment/space for the conductor to keep his orders and equipment. Unless you can find specific proof for the railroad you are modelling, I'd suggest not using a caboose too, unless you see pictures etc.
Brian Moore
santafe1958

Post by santafe1958 »

The Santa Fe 'usually' had a Combine on the rear of a mixed service, until passenger services ceased, and then a Waycar (caboose) was on the rear. I'll say 'usually' as the only photos I've seen are like this.

Brian
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

The only exception I can think of coming across (which is not to say that no other variations exist!) is i've read articles where the advertised passenger accomodation turned out be be a seat in the caboose - but in modelling terms that would look just like a freight train so probably not a lot of help!
Martyn Read
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

Gloriousnse wrote:The only exception I can think of coming across (which is not to say that no other variations exist!) is i've read articles where the advertised passenger accomodation turned out be be a seat in the caboose - but in modelling terms that would look just like a freight train so probably not a lot of help!
In that case, the passenger car would have been removed, and that's where the conductor would probably previously have been based!
Brian Moore