Switch Lists

Want to run your railway a little more like the real thing? Read on...
tunnelmotor

Switch Lists

Post by tunnelmotor »

In its simplest form, a switch list is a list of freight cars that make up the local train with details of those car numbers listed along with their destination industries. I have used these a couple of times now with some success and enjoyment. But, here's the question: should there be a corresponding separate list of cars to be pulled and picked up or should it be integrated into the switch list for the local?

Any suggestions as to layout of such lists would be much appreciated.

Mike Arnold
PeterLJ

Re: Switch Lists

Post by PeterLJ »

Hi Mike
In the real world there are I think lots of different "switch lists". At one extreme one has a list of numbers scribbled on the back of a fag packet by the conductor, in another period one has a tablet with internet connection in the cab updating real time.

The only thing I believe is that the 'end product' is always a switch list.

So we need to tie down period and circumstance a bit.

Peter L-J
tunnelmotor

Post by tunnelmotor »

I model the modern era, 1990s onwards but still would like to explore using a pre-printed sheet that you fill in manually for each trip. Eventually my layout will be continuous run with various industries in different locations. At the very least there will be 1) Dillon as shown as part of the Essex Belt Lines set up at the Ally Pally with a scrap yard (2 spots), team track (2 spots); paint manufacturer (2 spots); paper recycler (2 Spots); beer distribution (2 spots); produce center (3 door slots plus dock spot); lumber yard with 2 lumbder load/empties spots and 2 woodchip loader spots; 2) corn syrup distribution siding (7 spots); 3) stone yard with two sidings accommodating up to 8 cars each; 4) small SP/UP yard with 3 tracks for unloading anything from fertilizer to feed to cement powder to lumber (one big team track) and 5) a short ATSF/BNSF team track along the track a bit from 4 with 3 spots. Anyone running a local around all the above will not be going home any time soon!

Any ideas most welcome.

PS Not going to use computer ever for generating switch lists......
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

I have pre-printed switch lists, not used that often, that you fill in the car details by hand. The remarks column can be used to show if a car is to be picked up or dropped. I use car cards to keep track of cars, the switch lists are for train crews, similar to prototype waybills and switch lists. On the back are the definitions of car and destination initials.

I have it as a PDF file, don't know how that can be showed here, but I can email a copy if you like?
Mike Ruby
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

The switch list is in the North Fork Springs file in the Opsigbr group's files section.
Mike Ruby
tunnelmotor

Post by tunnelmotor »

Mike R,

Thanks for the posts. I have not been back to the forum lately to see your post sooner. Been rather busy - now got our two granddaughters coming too stay for four days - and they want to go on the Bluebell Railway! Who am I to object to that?

Mike A