Passenger line speeds.

Want to run your railway a little more like the real thing? Read on...
Mike_R

Passenger line speeds.

Post by Mike_R »

A question was asked at the Broadclyst meeting that I didn't know the answer to.

Would yard limits be enforced on the approach into a station? or would it be treated as line speed, especially when departing?

So on my module, 11th Avenue, the freight yard would be 15 mph, but the platform approaches and mainline maybe higher.
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Re: Passenger line speeds.

Post by torikoos »

I am not certain , but I've seen footage on Youtube of us passenger trains passing through a station at considerable speed, although perhaps this being a center track between the actual platform tracks (so a minimum of 3 tracks between the two platforms, with the higher speeds away from the platforms). In Holland, it's not uncommon on smaller stations to see a train pass the platform at higher speeds, and the same is true for the UK. As many rules are based on the original UK railway signaling system etc, I wouldn't be surprised to see the same or similar rules in the US.

Perhaps someone knows more about this.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
PeterLJ

Post by PeterLJ »

Hi

There are two questions here which is important. and I may be a bit 70s 80s. So there are two rules.

Yard Speeds did not apply to scheduled first class trains. They went through fast.

I seem to recall that speeds through stations depended on if there was another passenger train in the station. Indeed I think one had to stop if the moving train was passing between the depot and the parked passenger train.

But the two are (were) different.

All the best

Peter L-J
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

The other one, as 11th was set up as a terminus the other week, and two of the three passenger platforms were accessed via crossovers you would have a speed restriction into those tracks, if not all tracks.
Martyn Read
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Approaching the terminal, trains would be slowing to enter the platforms, but on leaving would only be restricted by the turnouts, maybe medium speed.
The real question is are the passenger tracks inside yard limits? I think that they are not, as the passenger tracks are separate from the freight yard.
Mike Ruby
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Mike_R wrote:Approaching the terminal, trains would be slowing to enter the platforms, but on leaving would only be restricted by the turnouts, maybe medium speed.
The real question is are the passenger tracks inside yard limits? I think that they are not, as the passenger tracks are separate from the freight yard.
In terms of your track layout I would agree - although it would mean passenger shunt moves would presumably need dispatchers (or signalled) permission?
Martyn Read