Yellow stripes

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
Mike_R

Yellow stripes

Post by Mike_R »

I've started fitting yellow stripes to my UP locos with red stripes. Latest are two SD38-2 locos. The red stripe was too wide so I had to remove it, by scraping and sanding it off. Where it was too light I painted with a grey paint pen which was wiped off quickly filling any scratches.
I used Smokebox Graphics reflective stripes, which are really reflective. I find they don't stick well to gloss surfaces, removing the red stripes solved that. I punch the holes for the handrails with the end of sharp tweezers.
To reduce postage costs I ordered enough stripes for about 12 locos and a few hundred cars, so many more to do!

Here is one done the other still red. I used a flash with the photo which brings out the yellow stripe. Click on the photo to show the full photo.

ImageSD38-2 stripes by Mike Ruby, on Flickr
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Re: Yellow stripes

Post by torikoos »

Moving with the times then Mike? Please don't do all of them, we need some red sill stripes at the club! ;-)
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Mike_R

Re: Yellow stripes

Post by Mike_R »

Too late, all but one that normally comes is done or was made with the yellow stripes. If modelling up to date stock it should all be fitted with stripes, 100% had to be done by June 2015.
Mike Ruby