TWO times GP30

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
torikoos

TWO times GP30

Post by torikoos »

Summer last year I was given a task by a friend, to paint and detail two GP30's he had, into Southern Pacific / Cotton Belt units.
He would pay for his share of details and parts, and in return for the work I was to keep one of them. I didn't think too long and so it was that I went home with two Lifelike Proto 2000 GP3's, one KCS and the other B&O.

The first job was to strip all the paint of both units, then add details as appropriate for SP/SSW GP30's.

Here's the start of the job with the most tell tale detail, the nose light packages: ImageNose job GP30's by Koos, on Flickr

A couple of months later, I was ready to paint, and so the SP grey was applied after the Scarlet red was painted on front and rear and masked off.
ImagePictures assorted by Koos, on Flickr

A few weeks later, I was making good progress on decals, and their identities became more apparent.
ImagePictures assorted by Koos, on Flickr
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
torikoos

Re: TWO times GP30

Post by torikoos »

Both of them were equipped with Loksound Select Direct decoders, using Sugarcube speakers (two per loco) and mini LED's with fiber optics for the lights.
Here are the decoders in place:
ImageLights construction by Koos, on Flickr

After assembly, I programmed and tested the units, and then applied some moderate weathering to reflect a well used life somewhere in the first half of the '70's.

ImageGP30 completion. by Koos, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Koos
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
torikoos

Re: TWO times GP30

Post by torikoos »

And two more in better light.

ImageMore GP30 by Koos, on Flickr

ImageMore GP30 by Koos, on Flickr

Koos