SD&AE 103

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
BrianMoore

SD&AE 103

Post by BrianMoore »

Due to the lack of appropriate Southern Pacific 2-8-0s in plastic, I've been dabbling with converting the good-running and reliable Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 to something more "SP". SD&AE was a leased SP C-9. Compromises include the retention of the straight-sided cylinders, too-short stack and centre-of-smokebox light fitting. Alterations include replacement and moving of the front dome, correct positioning of the bell, replacement and correctly-positioned class lights, work below the smokebox (steps, supports etc), modifications around the pumps, to the cab roof, added piping and SP number boards. The tender is a Bachmann Vanderbilt that has had the top of its original coal bunker removed and replaced by a styrene oil version. Bachmann did release the oil bunker version but the coal model has higher sides, and more appropriate for 103.

SD&AE 103 was a regular on the stretch of SP's Coast line I plan to model in 1954.

Tender lettering decals were made for me by an Australian friend, Ted Freeman.

Click onto the pictures to see them properly.
ImageSD&AE 103 by Brian Moore, on Flickr
ImageSD&AE 103 by Brian Moore, on Flickr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vegM_e0bY_Q
Brian Moore