Balboa Drive Train Headache

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
mec_alf

Balboa Drive Train Headache

Post by mec_alf »

Currently driving me up the wall, metaphorically speaking, is a Balboa B-1 Berkshire. :(
The problem is that I can't get the motor and gearbox to work together. I've tried 2mm flexible silicon tubing but it wraps itself into a 3-D Mobius strip - pretty but it does nothing for operating. The motor shaft is 2mm diameter, while the gearbox's is 2.4mm diameter and ALL of the replacement drivetrain components in my collection are slightly under 2.4mm diameter. The distance between the two faces is 31mm and the gap between the shaft ends is 6.86mm.

Any sensible suggestino would be appreciated, as I would like to get the unit operational.
From Rigby Yard to the Hill - MEC and SP live on.
raifenton

Re: Balboa Drive Train Headache

Post by raifenton »

Hi maineu18b(??)

Suggestions:
1. Use thicker-walled stiffer silicon tubing (Branchline 1.9 mm should fit both shafts).
2. Can worm-shaft be turned easily by hand? If not then correct this.
3. Use NWSL 2.00mm (plus 2.4 mm adaptors) Universal coupler set item #482-6.

Cheers
Rai Fenton
mec_alf

Re: Balboa Drive Train Headache

Post by mec_alf »

Thanks Rai,

I've installed a short length of brass tubing into the silcon tubing and that seems to have resolved the power-transmission problem.

I've just got to repair the trailing truck, after which the loco will be tested on a club layout. If all goes properly then it gets chipped; otherwise it'll become a, rather expensive, hangar (shed?) queen.
From Rigby Yard to the Hill - MEC and SP live on.