Pocket streamliner...

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
Gloriousnse

Pocket streamliner...

Post by Gloriousnse »

Something i've been working on for the meet at Weston on Trent, our HO freemo has a passenger terminus on a wye off the main line, as most of our trains are push-pull I thought we should have something that we actually needed to turn on the wye between arrival and departure. The passenger staging tracks in this setup are quite short (about 3' max) so this is the result - an E unit, baggage and coach - presumably a local connection to a longer distance train...

DSC_0193 by GloriousNSE, on Flickr

'Scuse the phone camera image...

The E unit is an old Proto one (with the funny shaped nose) - the passenger cars at Walthers ones...
Martyn Read
BrianMoore

Re: Pocket streamliner...

Post by BrianMoore »

Gloriousnse wrote:Something i've been working on for the meet at Weston on Trent, our HO freemo has a passenger terminus on a wye off the main line, as most of our trains are push-pull I thought we should have something that we actually needed to turn on the wye between arrival and departure. The passenger staging tracks in this setup are quite short (about 3' max) so this is the result - an E unit, baggage and coach - presumably a local connection to a longer distance train...

The E unit is an old Proto one (with the funny shaped nose) - the passenger cars at Walthers ones...
Most cool. Having a Wye really does offer so many operational opportunities of this kind. I've always had a penchant for an E unit and a couple of coaches. How do you turn it around at "the other end"?
Brian Moore
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

It'll have to be handled in staging unfortunately - but I think we're stuck with that in the setup we have for this outing. This one at least should be on the outside so at least it should be easy to reach.

The other thing the wye may be used for (beyond being a junction) is to turn any TOFC cars for the ramp at Lloyd which happen to arrive facing the wrong way - it'll give the switcher crew an occasional outing from the yard!
Martyn Read
BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore »

Gloriousnse wrote:It'll have to be handled in staging unfortunately - but I think we're stuck with that in the setup we have for this outing. This one at least should be on the outside so at least it should be easy to reach.

The other thing the wye may be used for (beyond being a junction) is to turn any TOFC cars for the ramp at Lloyd which happen to arrive facing the wrong way - it'll give the switcher crew an occasional outing from the yard!
Nothing wrong with 0-5-0 switching if it's done in staging; well worth it for the huge fun you can have with the on-stage wye (although I assume you won't be loading the trailers on-stage, just turning them (which is wholly realistic anyway))?

Looking at the plan, it offers such a lot of options to do so many things.
Brian Moore
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

I think we're going to be assuming trailers are being loaded and unloaded without actually doing it - (probably best without a lot of work across several people's stock to make sure the hitches and trailers are all inter-compatible)
Martyn Read
PeterLJ

Post by PeterLJ »

Gloriousnse wrote:I think we're going to be assuming trailers are being loaded and unloaded )
Hi Martyn

Keith brought a Container loading facility to the Convention, which in a way offers similar problems.

I considered ignoring the container well cars and saying the containers were the JMRI cars. So a fleet of trucks (a JMRI Logical train)delivers the containers to the facility, they are then put on any container train which will take them to the correct destination.

I gave up and retired to a dark room, but I think the idea was a good one!

Peter L-J
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

On Tops (so I presume on proto US) it would list the car with the container/trailer data under, that puts hazmat data with the box and with the car.....don't think JMRI can cope with that though!

(Posted from my mobile)
Martyn Read
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Gloriousnse wrote:Something i've been working on for the meet at Weston on Trent, our HO freemo has a passenger terminus on a wye off the main line, as most of our trains are push-pull I thought we should have something that we actually needed to turn on the wye between arrival and departure. The passenger staging tracks in this setup are quite short (about 3' max) so this is the result - an E unit, baggage and coach - presumably a local connection to a longer distance train...

Looks great Martyn! But what about that nose, what's wrong with it? I have an SP E unit that I want to stick in a local pax service train ala early 70's , similar to this Amtrak train of yours, but now you mention the nose, I'm starting to sweat a bit? :-)

By the way here's what I'm thinking off:

http://espee.railfan.net/nonindex/e-uni ... engler.jpg

Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Hmm - sorta hard to describe...

This is the E8A vs a P1K F3A - tooling from a similar era, which should be near identical...

DSC_0201 by GloriousNSE, on Flickr
DSC_0200 by GloriousNSE, on Flickr

Real thing shot:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2338209

I think what Proto got wrong on the E8A is starting the curve of the nose back at the windscreens and making a constant round nose, whereas on the real thing it doesn't curve till just behind the number boards, curves sharply there, then gently across the nose - that E8 has more of a boat nose than a bulldog about it. The black/red on the Amtrak livery means you have a nice hard line that you can see curving when it should be going straight as well (and yep - that might also be true for bloody nose...)

Is it an issue? One of those 'up to you' issues.

It's noticeable to my eye now i've seen it, but I don't have the funds to upgrade everything constantly, so i'll live with it and it'll have to do.

Another thing to note is that I think that Proto corrected the issue with their E7A, it doesn't affect that one - and since the E8A has been reworked recently it's possible it had a retool and the more modern releases don't have this flaw. Anyone with a recent one care to comment?
Martyn Read
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Thanks Martyn,

I can see it now. I will have a closer look at my E9 in the weekend, but as it is a Life Like P2K loco (not a Walthers) I think mine might be an original tooling loco too, and would probably show the same issue. It's not disturbing to me however, as it is still a nice model.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Visual gag....

(Passing the cinema - complete with 70s movies - on Andy Gautrey's 'Grunge St' module)
Martyn Read