40' HC Reefers in HO

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
Gloriousnse

40' HC Reefers in HO

Post by Gloriousnse »

One of the 'holes' in the HO scale Intermodal market until recently has been availability of a nice modern reefer box.

Walthers has marketed for many years a 40' reefer, but that doesn't represent modern reefers well (it hasn't stopped them putting probably inappropriate current liveries on them, but that's another story!) - being based on an older model with a riveted construction style not used in recent years - the Walthers one looks a bit like this Hapag-Lloyd box I shot back in 2010, except for not having the inset part of the roof over the reefer unit due to them compromising on re-using bits of existing tooling:

Whilst you still see the occasional reefer built like that, the vast majority out there now have a 'planked' effect to the sidewall - a very different looking box. I did once have a go at sanding down the side of the Walthers box and scribing on 'planks' - but the result wasn't good...

Athearn did a 20' reefer with that type of construction a few years back, but nobody's done a 40'....until now!

C-Rail, who has previously worked in UK N, OO and O gauges with various intermodal-related products has now entered the HO scale market with not just a 40' high cube, but a 20' as well. Both scaled down from popular releases in OO.

End comparisons, including a Walthers box for comparison. The (Daikin) reefer unit is a separate piece (as is it's compressor) allowing for the potential of different reefer unit brands in future, and giving more depth than the Walthers (Carrier) unit. They also show some great detail painting like the seals round the doors...

Martyn Read
Gloriousnse

Re: 40' HC Reefers in HO

Post by Gloriousnse »

C-Rail on top of Walthers

High angle showing top of reefer unit - the top numbers/markings are a nice touch, and sadly not always found on HO models as they are very visible on the real things from the high angles we normally look at models from!

40' and 20' portraits...

I've tried them out in Athearn Maxi-1 and Intermountain/A-Line Twinstack/Thrall wells and they fit perfectly - if you wanted to load them in a larger well you may need to put a small plastic pin in the IBCs at the bottom to locate them as they don't have pins on the bottom like Athearn/Walthers boxes do.

Arran hasn't put them on the C-rail site yet, contact him direct if you want some, he accepts paypal - prices are the same as the OO ones:
http://www.c-rail-intermodal.co.uk/
Martyn Read
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Good looking containers, very crisply moulded.
Mike Ruby
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

i think so too, but I also like the effect of what looks like build up ice or is self expanding insulation foam on the bottom 'Carrier' cooling unit. It could pass for that anyway.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

That's where I pinged off the clip-on genny I had glued on there - which is the subject of a future post! :)

I'll be keeping the now-retired Athearn units in stock in case I need any of the Carrier units for a kitbash.
Martyn Read