CP Rail 4404 GP38-2

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
torikoos

CP Rail 4404 GP38-2

Post by torikoos »

Here's my latest 'impulse buy' :-)
I just bought a new locomotive in the sale at Bromsgrove models. An Atlas GP38-2. I thought it might be a good base for a kitbash, turning it in to another road name etc. I just couldn't leave it for the money, so it was a bit of an impulse buy.... I'm sure you recognise that.
However, I am quite taken with it's appearance, and as Martyn Read has pointed out it seems that this particular loco has been photographed and video'ed often, and indeed it shows up on the familiar photo sites etc, so there are plenty of references there. So I think I might leave it in this colour and roadname, and see if it can be superdetailed without too many big changes, otherwise I might as well turn it into a loco more useful for my usual modeling interests.
As a CP rail engine I can use it at the club just fine, and if I make my module a bit more generic, I can even use it on that. one day we're in the 1980's SP, the following in modern day CP rail territories. On the picture it sits on the module. Currently no ballast yet, but the rails has been weathered already, still doing a few bits to the sub scenery before I start applying ground cover and ballast.

Koos

CP rail 4400 by K2K Koos, on Flickr
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Gloriousnse

Re: CP Rail 4404 GP38-2

Post by Gloriousnse »

Decoration is pretty good right out of the box. :)
Martyn Read
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Yes not bad, the few items that I've already identified as having to change/add:
-All weather window on engineers side, and sun shade on other
-handrails to be painted partly white
-add ditch lights
-the usual MU hoses on the pilots
-grab irons to add.

I will have closer look at other pictures to see if it is sitting on the correct trucks and see if there's other 'spotting' features that might be fairly easy to change out.

Koos
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Off memory, beacon and winterisation hatch...

The latter, ask some of the guys at WU whether they have one spare from a Proto SD60 detailing pack - it's a nice part and lots of folk have a pile in their spares box I suspect! :)
Martyn Read
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Thanks I'll have a look around. Indeed it is a roof beacon and winterisation hatch. Also I need to move the horns and bring them towards the back, as well as some other small bits and bobs here and there, but all and all the model appears fairly close and can be made into a fairly accurate representation of the real loco.

Koos