NRE 'Genset II' from Trainman

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
Gloriousnse

NRE 'Genset II' from Trainman

Post by Gloriousnse »

The Trainman genset appears to have been a great seller, but more recent prototype builds have had a much chunkier, taller long hood (with dynamic brake provision) giving a very different look to the version Atlas initially modelled.

Atlas have just announced they are producing the 'Genset II' variant, which is great if like me you like modern Chicago railroads, as this is the style that the BRC and IHB gensets are! :)

Announcement link here:
http://www.atlastrainman.com/HOLoco/tmhogenset1.htm

As well as BRC and IHB it'll come in CP, CSX, BNSF and NRE demonstrator.

Pretty Pose by hoosier hobbies, on Flickr
Martyn Read
torikoos

Re: NRE 'Genset II' from Trainman

Post by torikoos »

Hi Martyn, you're a step ahead of me, I was going to post the same (already done on my blog).

This variant of the Genset is correct for the California Northern Shortline I model, although I've set it in the early 90's, with the release of this model, I can decide to swap to 'today' from time to time. All I need atlas to do is to release one for the CFNR, which they did for the earlier (and therefore incorrect) variant of the genset model.

Good news is also that they've done something about the 'waaay too chunky' handrails on the previous release.

By the way, here's the CFNR version in action. I am not too keen on the Rail America colours (Rail America owns the CFNR for several years already), I preferred the older green and cream colours)
CFNR 504 by El Cobrador, on Flickr

And here a picture of a CFNR GP15-1 in the colours I would have preferred the Gensets to be.
CFNR 109 by El Cobrador, on Flickr

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
geofftiller

Post by geofftiller »

Hi Guys

I saw the Atlas mailing list this morning, it depends how many numbers they release but I'll be having some. It would be even better if they bring out the 6 axle gensets. Those are huge (not far off as long as a Dash9) but would be a great addition to the roster.

Geoff
warbonnetuk

Post by warbonnetuk »

Best bit of news is that the finer handrails sets are to be available as retro parts for the first model esp I had a slot of my Xmas time off allocated to doing a Smokey Valley / brass wire replacement on my BNSF model. Saving me some time there :D

Cheers

Dan
Dan Spalding

Galatia KS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galatia- ... 5487154282
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Looks like the CSX units in this first run are also Chicago residents - the BNSF pair are California based, the CP's in Ontario...

Predictably the demo has been all over the place, Chicago, Texas, even a trial on the MRL and rather bizarrely in Canada on the Rocky Mountaineer!!
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2632842

Martyn Read