BN SD9

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
User avatar
BrianMoore
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Plymouth, UK

BN SD9

Post by BrianMoore » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:41 pm

Image
BN 6110 1 by bxmoore, on Flickr
Image
BN 6110 2 by bxmoore, on Flickr
I found a cheap non-dynamic Southern RR Proto SD9 on eBay recently, and decided to do a quick-and-dirty upgrade to a Burlington Northern loco -the usual bodge of a few scratchbuilt and detailing parts, and don't look too closely. It will hopefully emerge as BN 6110, another long-hood-forward locomotive, to run at the club. I can't find any reference to a Proto BN non-dynamic model ever being released.

It's since been sprayed BN green, and I'm not looking forward to the masking job for the black, but we'll see how it goes.

Brian
Brian Moore

User avatar
torikoos
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: Newton Abbot, Devon, UK .
Contact:

Re: BN SD9

Post by torikoos » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Hi Brian, looking forward to this. (you should really have modeled another railroad with your Long Hood Forward likes :-) ).
Let me know how you get on with masking the black etc. I had some paint bleed doing my CFNR SD9, probably because I did not apply enough layers of cream (the colour I was masking) again after the masking job, before using the green. The additional layers should have sealed the edges of the masking tape a bit better, but I was too scared to get too thick a layer of paint , which would mask details again...
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.

igadget
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: West Sussex

Re: BN SD9

Post by igadget » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi Brian - nice little project..

Appreciate it's a quick and dirty upgrade but just interested to know whether you stripped the original paint first or just covered it with the grey as a quick initial fix prior to the main coat?
John P

User avatar
BrianMoore
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Plymouth, UK

Re: BN SD9

Post by BrianMoore » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:58 pm

igadget wrote:Hi Brian - nice little project..

Appreciate it's a quick and dirty upgrade but just interested to know whether you stripped the original paint first or just covered it with the grey as a quick initial fix prior to the main coat?
I stripped it back to the bare plastic, John, and then I use Warhammer Skull White, straight from the big can, for the base coat.

Brian
Brian Moore

User avatar
BrianMoore
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Plymouth, UK

Re: BN SD9

Post by BrianMoore » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:00 pm

torikoos wrote:Hi Brian, looking forward to this. (you should really have modeled another railroad with your Long Hood Forward likes :-) ).
Let me know how you get on with masking the black etc. I had some paint bleed doing my CFNR SD9, probably because I did not apply enough layers of cream (the colour I was masking) again after the masking job, before using the green. The additional layers should have sealed the edges of the masking tape a bit better, but I was too scared to get too thick a layer of paint , which would mask details again...
That's what I plan to do, Koos, but like all plans, they usually go awry.

Brian
Brian Moore

User avatar
BrianMoore
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Plymouth, UK

Re: BN SD9

Post by BrianMoore » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:06 pm

Image
BN 6110 005 by bxmoore, on Flickr
Image
BN 6110 009 by bxmoore, on Flickr
Brian Moore

User avatar
Gloriousnse
Posts: 529
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:32 pm
Location: Exeter, UK
Contact:

Re: BN SD9

Post by Gloriousnse » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:07 pm

"Like" :)
Martyn Read

User avatar
BrianMoore
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Plymouth, UK

Re: BN SD9

Post by BrianMoore » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:37 pm

It's strange how almost "dayglo" the BN Green is. Helped to an extent by spraying it onto white, albeit in four thin coats. I'll let it dry thoroughly, put the masking tape on, spray another coat over the tape, and when dry, move on to the black.

Brian
Brian Moore

User avatar
torikoos
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: Newton Abbot, Devon, UK .
Contact:

Re: BN SD9

Post by torikoos » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:50 pm

Looking good so far Brian, just wondering which masking tape you use? I used the yellow masking tape from Tamiya, rubbed down the edges into all nooks and crannies, then added another coat, before proceeding with the darker colour, still got bleed so it puzzled me why it still happened, had heard good things about the Tamiya tape...

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.

User avatar
BrianMoore
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Plymouth, UK

Re: BN SD9

Post by BrianMoore » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:20 am

Image
BN 6110 015 by bxmoore, on Flickr
Image
BN 6110 010 by bxmoore, on Flickr
OK - quite a successful spray of the black, using Tamiya masking tape, and spraying a coat of the green over it, prior to the black. Hardly any bleeding, but there's a few small areas on the side walkways that'll need touching up with black. I chose not to remove the handrails, as I find that a pain to do, and something bad always happens - they will be painted green, probably by brush, along with some other touch-ups.

Brian
Brian Moore

User avatar
torikoos
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: Newton Abbot, Devon, UK .
Contact:

Re: BN SD9

Post by torikoos » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Looking very good Brian, I am not sure why my paint attempt didn't work out as well, but I'm not too worried, practice makes perfect and next time I'm just trying again. BTW, I used Polyscale acrylic paints.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.

User avatar
BrianMoore
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Plymouth, UK

Re: BN SD9

Post by BrianMoore » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:01 pm

torikoos wrote:Looking very good Brian, I am not sure why my paint attempt didn't work out as well, but I'm not too worried, practice makes perfect and next time I'm just trying again. BTW, I used Polyscale acrylic paints.

Koos
I used Pollyscale BN acrylic green and Tamiya acrylic Matt Black. A lot of it is down to luck. And there's a long way to go, yet. I've just brush-painted the handrails green, and will now have to do some work...

Brian
Brian Moore

User avatar
warbonnetuk
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Horley, Surrey

Re: BN SD9

Post by warbonnetuk » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:06 pm

torikoos wrote:Looking good so far Brian, just wondering which masking tape you use? I used the yellow masking tape from Tamiya, rubbed down the edges into all nooks and crannies, then added another coat, before proceeding with the darker colour, still got bleed so it puzzled me why it still happened, had heard good things about the Tamiya tape...

Koos
Koos

I use the end of a bamboo screwer to run over the edge of (tamiya) masking tape which seems to seal things down nicely. The other tip that I've read in various aircraft mags is to blow a thin coat of gloss varnish along the mask edge to give a bit of a seal

Cheers

Dan
Dan Spalding

Galatia KS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galatia- ... 5487154282

User avatar
torikoos
Posts: 835
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:46 pm
Location: Newton Abbot, Devon, UK .
Contact:

Re: BN SD9

Post by torikoos » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:04 pm

warbonnetuk wrote:
torikoos wrote:Looking good so far Brian, just wondering which masking tape you use? I used the yellow masking tape from Tamiya, rubbed down the edges into all nooks and crannies, then added another coat, before proceeding with the darker colour, still got bleed so it puzzled me why it still happened, had heard good things about the Tamiya tape...

Koos
Koos

I use the end of a bamboo screwer to run over the edge of (tamiya) masking tape which seems to seal things down nicely. The other tip that I've read in various aircraft mags is to blow a thin coat of gloss varnish along the mask edge to give a bit of a seal

Cheers

Dan

hi Dan, yes I used a skewer to rub the edges, but I didn't use the gloss varnish trick. I did however, respray the masked paint one more go , but it was probably too light or too thin for a proper seal. Oh well, I'll just have to weather the loco to mask some of the bleed on this one.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.

User avatar
BrianMoore
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Plymouth, UK

Re: BN SD9

Post by BrianMoore » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:13 pm

torikoos wrote:
warbonnetuk wrote:
torikoos wrote:Looking good so far Brian, just wondering which masking tape you use? I used the yellow masking tape from Tamiya, rubbed down the edges into all nooks and crannies, then added another coat, before proceeding with the darker colour, still got bleed so it puzzled me why it still happened, had heard good things about the Tamiya tape...

Koos
Koos

I use the end of a bamboo screwer to run over the edge of (tamiya) masking tape which seems to seal things down nicely. The other tip that I've read in various aircraft mags is to blow a thin coat of gloss varnish along the mask edge to give a bit of a seal

Cheers

Dan

hi Dan, yes I used a skewer to rub the edges, but I didn't use the gloss varnish trick. I did however, respray the masked paint one more go , but it was probably too light or too thin for a proper seal. Oh well, I'll just have to weather the loco to mask some of the bleed on this one.

Koos
Sounds more to do with the paint being too watered-down, and then sprayed on a mite too thickly?

Brian
Brian Moore

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest