Amfleet wheels and couplers

New toys to show off? Projects you're working on? Want advice on what (and what not to) get? Try here...
signalist

Amfleet wheels and couplers

Post by signalist »

I have some secondhand Amfleet coaches, and I am looking to get them up and running.

The first I have is a Bachmann and the couplers are an odd type not kadee compatible. What is the best method to fit Kadee to it?

The second is an unknown make (It came in a pastic bag with three others and has no markings) but has one wheelset missing. I cannot find Amfleet wheelsets for sale so I wonder if anyone nows what I need to do to fit new wheels. The only wheels I can find have outside pinpoint bearings.

TIA
Paul
chrisibbotson

Re: Amfleet wheels and couplers

Post by chrisibbotson »

Hi Paul,

re: Bachmann Amfleet I, best method is to remove the old Horn-hook style coupler and box totally, smooth down the floor area and then fit a Kadee box and coupler with a Kadee 2-56 plastic or metal screw, fitted into a drilled and tapped hole - Kadee also do the tap and drill bits.

As regards the other cars, they are probably Life-Like models. You can replace the truck with Walthers part 920-2131, available from Walthers via your local model shop - such as Model Junction. It would then be a case of making a suitable mount for the truck to fit to the car.

Hope this helps !

Chris.
signalist

Re: Amfleet wheels and couplers

Post by signalist »

Thank you. The couplers are sorted, just need to get a new truck.