Depth of image on buildings

Suffering from the 'Plywood Pacific' look? Share your scenery & structure questions and tips here...
Mikehughes

Depth of image on buildings

Post by Mikehughes »

Take a look at the image I've uploaded at http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikehughes ... hotostream

Do you know how it's done? Have a guess first then I'll get the person who made this to share his know-how.
trevorsmith3489

Re: Depth of image on buildings

Post by trevorsmith3489 »

With photographs!

I would be interested to know if the photos were taken specifically for this model . . . or if they were taken from a trade magazine/internet etc.

Trevor
torikoos

Post by torikoos »

Yes it's photo's build in somewhat recessed under the roof of the building.
The most left hand side photo is what I used too, partly building my warehouse interior, see this topic. viewtopic.php?f=23&t=268#p1190

Looks good as a ware house model, but it would be even better if the photo graph was taken at 'street level' , not a birds eye view. The transition to model and photo would have been less obvious. It is a risk in using pictures in a model that you need to carefully balance.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

We've used images culled from Google streetview to fill in some of the gaps between low relief buildings on RS Tower, it's not much (and we have more still to do - another 'round tuit' is needed!) - but it gives an idea that 'something' is over there - distant mountains or cityscapes not being too applicable to our prototype!
Martyn Read
Mikehughes

Post by Mikehughes »

Now I can reveal the answer.

As some if you guessed the backgrounds are photos. I took the picture on my iPhone of Mike Arnold's layout. I'm sure he"ll share know-how with you
trevorsmith3489

Post by trevorsmith3489 »

I have used "real" photos in the development of my layout - Kaley Yard.

The backscene photos seen in this blog - http://kaleyyard.wordpress.com/ - were taken in Southern California specifically for use on the layout. In November, I spent some time in Miami and Southern Florida taking photos for the lower deck.

I let my wife do a significant amount of driving while in the in the USA, I have a camera on my knee and snap away at scenery, buildings and any cameos I come across.

I use free software (photosuite) that came with my Canon digital SLR camera, or Microsoft Publisher (the banner theme,) to manipulate or resize photographs for use on the layout. I have a large selection of building photographs that I intend to use in a similar way to Lance Mindheim, and I have also used Google Earth street view images to add to the collection.

Trevor
tunnelmotor

Post by tunnelmotor »

The building is part low relief - it hides a staging track. I built it with a back wall of black 60 thou plasticard, with Evergreen girders placed regularly for uprights. In between, in the black plastic, I pasted a selection of photos taken from Google - "Images of Lumber". Search and ye shall find. I intend to place a few more lumber loads in front to obscure more of the background. I also pasted an overlay of cut timber across the right hand two sections to try to join them up more. If I find better shots, I will paste them over - use a permanent spray from Hobbycraft or similar or lots of good double-sided tape. I intend using the same technique for background building photos on the actual back scene.

In your Google search bar type in "images of (your subject)" and see what you can find. If nothing else you will find lots of inspiration.

By the way see this module and the rest of Essex Belt Lines (all 68 by 25 of it) at the Ally Pally on 23/24 March in the main hall. Speak to us nicely and you might get to come inside and drive.