Static grass applicator

Suffering from the 'Plywood Pacific' look? Share your scenery & structure questions and tips here...
torikoos

Static grass applicator

Post by torikoos »

I've just build myself a cheap static grass applicator. While I realise that it is probably not as good as a commercial product like that of Noch, it is also more than 20 times cheaper.
I used the electronics and handle from an old electric fly swatter, and a metal tea strainer. I opened the fly swatter cut the wires leading to the 'swatter part', soldered new wires to the circuit board , one of which onto the tea strainer, and one longer lead onto a small spike/screw.
I used a few bits of carpet underlay(the green tiles) in the end of the handle to clamp the tea strainer , and filled up all the gaps with hot glue, then put the assembly back together. After the glue had set, I ended up with a fairly sturdy construction. All in all, under 30 minutes work.
While I am still to test it with static grass (I have none at the moment), I know the circuit works, as it 'bit' me already once :-)

So do be careful. This one runs of two AA batteries, and probably isn't deadly or could do much harm, it does 'tickle' in a nasty way, and one can never be too careful.

Koos

Static grass applicator by K2K Koos, on Flickr
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
torikoos

Re: Static grass applicator

Post by torikoos »

Now that I built this applicator, I also would like to build a clone of the 'noch' grassmaster. The problem is getting hold of a 12VDC negative ion generator (not a star trek item...) , but seems to be very hard to come by in europe, does any one have any good sources in the UK or europe to obtain these items?

Cheers, Koos
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
torikoos

Re: Static grass applicator

Post by torikoos »

Well, it turns out negative ion generators are very hard to come by, the two main sources being Oakley in Australia, and the Model Railroad Video's website of Joe Fugate, who also publishes the Model Railroad Hobbyist magazine (and probably get's them from Oakley) I ordered mine from him, as you can pay by paypal, so upon receipt, I shall make a grassmaster clone.
For now, I've tested my tea strainer version on a small section of my home layout, with results as in this picture. I have to say that part of the grass was deliberately flattened a bit, to resemble real wild grass a bit better.

Koos

Static grass by K2K Koos, on Flickr