Programming problem - Powercab

For those that like their electrickery delivered digitally...
billdunseith

Programming problem - Powercab

Post by billdunseith » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:34 am

I have a problem with my Powercab/Decoder programming and I cannot get to the bottom of it.

The decoder in question is a TCS T4X and I am using it in an Athearn SD40T-2 where it is working fine with excellent slow speed and control. I removed it and put it in an Athearn SD40-2 and proceeded to reprogram it with the new loco number. During the programming the Powercab ‘read’ the decoder and the loco ‘lurched’ forward at all the appropriate stages, etc. When the programming was complete and I returned it to the layout the headlights lit up but the loco wouldn’t move! I reprogrammed again with the same results and although I can switch the lights on and off, the loco won’t move. I then tried another TCS T4X from a different loco and the same results. I have also used a different loco to try to programme the decoder and again the same. Lights can be switched on/off, forward but not reverse, but no control!

I am using a programme track.

What is going wrong please?

Thank you.

Willy

Mike_R

Re: Programming problem - Powercab

Post by Mike_R » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:18 am

Did you program the original loco's number with the Powercab? I have heard that one of the NCE systems has trouble with higher cv numbers but not with basic address changes.
I don't see how, unless the loco was in a consist before, but is there a consist number programmed into CV17? If so set it to 0.

Have you tried doing a reset on the program track and then see if the loco works on 3. You will lose any other cv changes made.
Mike Ruby

billdunseith

Post by billdunseith » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:50 pm

Thank you Mike.

Yes I have always used the Powercab and I did so when I installed these decoders in the SD40T-2, where they were reprogrammed from an earlier loco!

Now that is something I hadn’t thought of and indeed both decoders were in a consist so I will look into that and check CV17 and reset if necessary.

Thank you again and I will let you know of the outcome.

Bill.

billdunseith

Post by billdunseith » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:04 pm

Interesting! I reset CV17 to 0 and it had no effect. I then pressed ‘Clear’ consist and entered the consist number and pressed ‘enter' and tried again. Sorted, they both now work so thank you again Mike for pointing me in the right direction.

Bill

Mike_R

Post by Mike_R » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:12 pm

If NCE is like Lenz the command station keeps a record of which addresses are in a consist and only sends the speed commands to the consist number, so until you clear the consist from the command station it would not send commands to the loco number. At least the problem has been cured.
Mike Ruby

billdunseith

Post by billdunseith » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:57 pm

Mike_R wrote:If NCE is like Lenz the command station keeps a record of which addresses are in a consist and only sends the speed commands to the consist number, so until you clear the consist from the command station it would not send commands to the loco number. At least the problem has been cured.
Indeed it has Mike but it wouldn’t have occurred to me to clear the consist so thank you.