Loksound chip for Bachmann GE 45 ton switcher.

For those that like their electrickery delivered digitally...
swtrains

Loksound chip for Bachmann GE 45 ton switcher.

Post by swtrains » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:30 pm

I love this little switcher, and it comes dcc equipped, but unfortunately no sound.

I know Tsunami do a very small chip for this loco with a vaguely specific sound on it - the switcher actually has twin Cummins 1500hp prime movers - but I would prefer a Loksound.

But I don't know which Loksound to go for - there are so many choices with different connectors etc. Then there is the small matter of a suitable sound file!

There is a YouTube video showing this loco with a Loksound inside, sounding real nice - but no further details. And Model Railroader have done a sound chip fit to this switcher, but only available to subscribers.

Can anyone guide me here, please? It all seems so confusing to a noob!

Mike_R

Re: Loksound chip for Bachmann GE 45 ton switcher.

Post by Mike_R » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:49 pm

Loksound do the 45 tonner with Caterpillar engines http://www.esu.eu/en/downloads/sounds/l ... 00a6473b46.
You can get the micro Select version which is the smallest http://www.esu.eu/en/products/loksound/ ... ect-micro/.
They are about the same price as Tsunamis and have very good motor control.
Mike Ruby

swtrains

Post by swtrains » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:33 am

Thanks for that, Mike, it was very helpful.

What was particularly confusing with Loksound was the large number of connectors available. Would American HO locos just have one type of dcc connector (I presume there would be an NMRA standard for this?)

Thanks again!

Mike_R

Post by Mike_R » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:35 pm

The Selects have more limited connections, the standard with 8 and 21 pin, the micro with 8 pin, the direct solder tabs (replaces many original circuit boards).
If you don't want to change the individual sound files the Select is the choice (you can still change the whole project), for a few pounds more the V4 allows you to change almost anything, but you do need the Lokprogrammer and be prepared to spend some time on it.
Manufactures are going to 21 pin as it allows all wires in the connectors, the Standard Select and Direct have 6 outputs, plus speakers, in total 15 wires.
Athearn now have 8 and 9 pin sockets. I tend to remove the factory fitted boards and replace with a Direct or hard wire one of the others, with resistors etc. mounted on veroboard.
Mike Ruby

swtrains

Post by swtrains » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:38 pm

Right..... I'm beginning to see some light....

Before I forget, Model Railroader has open access to it's site (ends tomorrow) so I did get to view that video. But it was only marginally useful as it was for a 44 ton switcher, not the 45.

I understand that, for size reasons, I must specify the Micro, which only comes with 8 pins. And, according to dccCoastal site, I can order it pre loaded with the Caterpillar sounds.

Then, all that remains is to find the speaker size to fit the allocated space in the switcher and order.

After that comes the fun bit - installation!! I'll come back here when I reach that stage - should I be frightened?

Thanks again!

Mike_R

Post by Mike_R » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:14 pm

Depends on the space in the loco, does it have a circuit board that the Direct could replace? Basically the Direct is a micro mounted on a circuit board that has the LED resistors and extra bits to get 6 outputs. It fits under the low hood of a SW1500.

Sugar cube speakers are very small and are supposed to sound good, I haven't got around to trying mine yet.
http://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-10422 ... r-cube.htm
http://www.coastaldcc.co.uk/products/pr ... t.php?id=9

Unless you have access to a Lokprogrammer you need to order the decoder with the correct sound project installed.
The CVs can be done with most systems (some have problems with high CV numbers).
If you use JMRI, then programming outputs, etc. is fairly easy, although being a very flexible decoder there are many options.
Mike Ruby