Which decoder for Bachmann 0n30 2-Truck Shay

For those that like their electrickery delivered digitally...
billdunseith

Which decoder for Bachmann 0n30 2-Truck Shay

Post by billdunseith » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Can someone please recommend a decoder that will fit the Bachmann 0n30 2 Truck Shay? All I want is good motor control plus the light function so I don’t require anything sophisticated.

Thank you.

Bill

BrianMoore

Re: Which decoder for Bachmann 0n30 2-Truck Shay

Post by BrianMoore » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:08 am

Assuming you don't want sound, I'd always go with any Lenz decoder that has BEMF. With steam locomotives, they smooth out all but the roughest of drives, and provide ultra-smooth starts and stops with minimal or no tweaking required. They're also easy to programme. I've never seen better.
Brian Moore

billdunseith

Post by billdunseith » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:16 am

Thank you Brian and yes you are right, I don't want sound. I agree with your comment re Lenz but the reason I ask is because there doesn't appear to be much room in this particular loco and I wondered what decoder others had managed to squeeze in.

Bill

BrianMoore

Post by BrianMoore » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Best thing to do is to put into Google, in inverted commas: "Bachmann On30 Shay" and "decoder". You should be able to find a few bits and bobs that may help you. It may take a few pages of scrolling.
Brian Moore

Mike_R

Post by Mike_R » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:54 pm

Try looking at TCS they do tiny decoders. http://www.tcsdcc.com/public_html/Custo ... Series.htm

Which one depends on the stall current in your loco. Probably a M, MC or T type.
Mike Ruby

billdunseith

Post by billdunseith » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:12 am

I found a spare TCS T1 and it runs beautifully with that. However I only have a short harness hence I cannot tuck it away so it looks a little odd with a decoder on the footplate! I have ordered a long harness and with that I should be able to turn it back on itself and that should do the trick.

When I get it sorted out I will post a photo for the benefit of others who may be interested.

Thank you.

Bill