Setting up Tsunami decoders

For those that like their electrickery delivered digitally...
torikoos

Setting up Tsunami decoders

Post by torikoos »

Tsunami decoders are quite popular, they have a big available range, and can usually be found for lower prices than some of the competitors. They also sound quite good, but can sometimes prove to be a little challenging to program, particularly when it comes to true smooth (very) slow speed performance.
No solution or setting works for every locomotive (This is true for many decoder/loco combinations).
However, to get you off to a good start, have a look here: http://www.mrdccu.com/curriculum/soundtraxx/tsunami.htm

There are other locations on the web that can help too, there's a great downloadable pdf file at the australian NMRA site too.
http://www.nmra.org.au/gndu/EasyDCC/Decoders.pdf

If anyone got another solution, please post in reply to this post.
Let's get similar topics set up for other brands of decoders.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
BrianMoore

Re: Setting up Tsunami decoders

Post by BrianMoore »

Soundtraxx Tsunami decoders have great sounds, but can blight a locomotive with "herky-jerky" sudden starts and stops, which (for me, anyway) completely ruin the effect of operating model trains, especially when we've spent so much time and effort to make everything else look "real".

The BM Tsunami method:

Start with everything set at factory default, and input 50 into CV209. Then, put 1 into CV210.

Set the loco to travel at speed step one (using a 28-step speed input), and then increase the value of 210 until it runs smoothly. You may also consider reducing CV209 after that, to get it crawling along, without hesitation. After you're happy, you can then install any custom speed-curve using CV25 and CV29.

Note that, for getting the best results from a Tsunami (or any other sound decoder), some "delay" via CV3 and CV4 is required. This will also assist with smooth starts and stops. My usual values are CV3, 50-80, CV4, 30-50.

Depending on the make and model of locomotive, these two CV values should be tested in various combinations until satisfaction is attained. Note that each individual locomotive should be tested; don't assume that if one set of CV settings works in one loco, an "identical" one will perform in the same way.

Here's my Tsunami-equipped Atlas RS11. For starting and stopping, go to 3.00:

When starting, I just hike the Lenz controller up to speed step 7, and the delay in CV3 means it sets off smoothly.
Brian Moore