TCS KAT12 Decoder

For those that like their electrickery delivered digitally...
santafe1958

TCS KAT12 Decoder

Post by santafe1958 »

Has anyone got any experience of the TCS KAT12 decoder?
I've got the Atlas Trainman GP39/1 & GP39/2 (for Christmas....), and was looking at what type of decoder to use.

Thanks.

Brian
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
torikoos

Re: TCS KAT12 Decoder

Post by torikoos »

TCS decoders are quite good, and this one has the 'keep alive technology'. While I haven't got one with that option myself (I've used T4X decoders) , it should otherwise be a good decoder. The only draw back is that you can't really 'tune' the BEMF, it can only be switched on or off, and the decoders are supposed to 'learn' and adjust themselves. This can be a bit hit and miss, and you'd need a smooth running loco, that performs well on DC too. (Atlas should be a safe bet), I've had some old Athearn BB locos that were very hard to get right, but others worked fine.

The keep alive technology makes the whole decoder a bit bigger and more difficult to get under the hood though, but I don't think it's a huge problem.

Koos
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

I've a pair of 'KA' series ones (can't recall which at the mo) in my 90macs, they are a good decoder and the KA element works very well although I'm planning to move them into a pair of SW1500s shortly where their skills may be more useful - I don't think you'll have a space issue in the GP39s
Martyn Read
santafe1958

Post by santafe1958 »

Thanks Koos / Martyn.
Will have to see if I can get Ted S. to bring some to Benson!!

Brian
Brian K.Woolven
Chief Operating Officer,
Deadwood City Railroad.
Gloriousnse

Post by Gloriousnse »

Been messing about with decoders tonight, my pair are also KAT12s and I can confirm they fit my Trainman GP38-2, so unless Atlas have done something weird on the GP39-2 you should be fine.
Martyn Read