Kato HO Unitrack

Are you handlaid, sectional or flexible? Raise your questions or give us your tips here...

Kato HO Unitrack

Post by 800415 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:09 pm

Hi

I'm a great fan of Unitrack for prototyping. It's not very space-efficient compared with your final choice of product for a permanent layout but you can test your operational plan and functionality without glueing or screwing anything then regretting it.

The most infuriating experience with Unitrack is probably getting just the effect you want and being left with one or more straight sections to insert of an odd length. Calculating the right combination of straights to fill an awkward gap is a job for software. I wrote a little program which generated an Excel spreadsheet which gives me all the possible combinations. Contact me if you would like a copy of the spreadsheet (assuming I'm not the only KATO Unitrack user in NMRA-BR)

Cheers

Steve
Steve Whitaker

Mike_R

No fixed track

Post by Mike_R » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:55 pm

I'm not a fan of fixed track having last used sectional track when a teenager.
I did hand lay one layout, Pine Point Mill, the rest are with PECO or Shinohara flex track. I do chop up turnouts and bend them to my requirements, having been known to straighten curved turnouts and bend straight ones!

Mike Ruby
Mike Ruby

Re: No fixed track

Post by 800415 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:24 pm

Mike_R wrote:I'm not a fan of fixed track having last used sectional track when a teenager.
I did hand lay one layout, Pine Point Mill, the rest are with PECO or Shinohara flex track. I do chop up turnouts and bend them to my requirements, having been known to straighten curved turnouts and bend straight ones!

Mike Ruby
Mike

I'm a great fan for PROTOTYPING. It's a mixture of Peco and Shinohara code 83 when it comes to final track plan, KATO doesn't even do diamond crossings, far less curved points. But you can prototype your operational requirements effectively without committing time, money, effort in the wrong direction. Of course if you're good enough to design your track plans without needing a 3D working model (I'm sure I'm not) then the sectional track process is redundant.

Cheers

Steve
Steve Whitaker

Mike_R

Re: Kato HO Unitrack

Post by Mike_R » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:32 pm

I didn't mean to say it was wrong to use set track, what ever works for you.

I draw out my plans first that gives me an idea if it is possible, now I also do a plan in a CAD track planning program, they don't let you cheat as easily! Once I get to the actual track laying I lay track turnouts etc. in place to see if it looks good before finally fixing down. I use the

Here is the board I'm working on at the moment, before the trackbed and track went in. I use the flex track to help draw in centre lines for the track.

Mike Ruby
Mike Ruby

Re: Kato HO Unitrack

Post by 800227 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:25 pm

If anyone is interested, I have a quantity of HO Unitrack for sale in Salavage Yard. Peter N