Hello folks

Working from a prototype location or trying to fit a specific space? Everyone loves a good trackplan...
torikoos

Re: Hello folks

Post by torikoos »

Welcome 'cat weasel'.

Looking forward to your posts here and seeing how this layout develops.
Koos Fockens -Devon UK. North American Model Railroading
Age is just a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, then it doesn't matter.
PeterBowen

Post by PeterBowen »

Welcome to the NMRA Forum...

Have you considered building your layout in a modular form built to the Freemo Standard so that you can easily move and possibly display your modules at area modular meets?

I am speaking from experience as I had previously constructed both 18" and 24" wide x 12 feet shelf type layouts that were fixed and not easily moved, before discovering the benefits of building modules and sharing with others.

Here is the NMRA standard http://www.nmra.org/introduction-overview and the HO Modular Special Interest Group on this forum viewforum.php?f=65

Peter
Peter Bowen
Peter Bowen Art
Art and Ceramics
PeterLJ

Post by PeterLJ »

Hi

Most of us include our names, cos we know each other. But Peter B makes a good point, with very little compromise on your plan (assuming you have not started) would make a good module. OK, it apparently has a back scene, which freemo does not encourage, but I can not see a meet organiser getting up tight about that. One does however need to be able to throw turnouts and stuff from both sides.

Perhaps the first thing to do is find out if modules "rock your boat". Off the top of my head the Bearwood group may be worth a visit?

Peter L-J
PeterBowen

Post by PeterBowen »

Henry

I am 105 miles each way to Plymouth and 61 miles to Bearwood each way - very worth visiting - there are some very good modules and modellers at both.

Peter
Peter Bowen
Peter Bowen Art
Art and Ceramics
Mike_R

Post by Mike_R »

Could you put a couple of tracks for storage behind the second side of the layout? That gives you visible layout on both sides of the shed and a fiddle yard. I had 12" high buildings in front of a four track sector plate on an exhibition layout. This meant that the whole layout had visible working track and 4 x 4' trains in storage.

I use sieved sharp sand for scenery. Three sieves (two tea strainers and a flour sieve) give me sand, HO ballast, small stones and large stones. I use the sand in yards, static grass makes it look more run down. 25Kg is less than £3, gives you a load of sand, a lot of ballast, quite a bit of stones. It does take a bit of effort to dry it out and sieved it, but from one bag I've done one large and several small modules and have a load of it left. I store it in rinsed out squash bottles.
Mike Ruby